best way to clean and paint the inside of the cowl?

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm going to have my 68 media blasted. The car is completely rust free and in excellent condition so the last thing I want to do is pop off the cowl cover to be able to strip the paint in the cowl. Is there anyway around this?

• Sponsors (?)

If you get a can of that aircraft paint remover spray, and find a nozzle tip that will swap out like one from a WD40 can, that has a straw, you can poke the straw through the grill vents and strip the inside of the cowl.

latamud said:
If you get a can of that aircraft paint remover spray, and find a nozzle tip that will swap out like one from a WD40 can, that has a straw, you can poke the straw through the grill vents and strip the inside of the cowl.

Unsure of this method as you might not get everything primered properly afterward (more bare metal to contend with.) Ford never painted in there in the first place so this may not matter.

Slightly off topic--Won't help you to remove the offending paint:

A quick repair job around the vents is to remove the fenders and cut a hole through the hidden area just underneath.

You don't cut the piece entirely off, just 3 sides and let the 4th side bend as a hinge. This allows you to work around the vents, make minor repairs, seam seal the "hat" and then you can reweld the hole shut. No messing with the top of the cowl unless you need a more major repair.

One other option:

Make cowl vent open to engine bay. They can be used for media blasting the main area.

Use POR15 around the inside cowl vents. Using a special made wire with a cotton ball on the end (bought at the paint store), you can get inside the cowl, around the vent tubes, from the inside of the car.

Hope this helps.

18722253544.jpg