Best way to clean deck surfaces?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing that you're talking about the block or head deck? If so then, "Yes".

I've also used a wire brush on occasion or even a wire wheel for a drill.

I stuff paper towels down each combustian chamber opening to keep the junk out while other folks use tape. If you use papaer towels, count them. Remove as many as you install. hehehe

Aliate X said:
Yeha I was just worried about damaging the surface, I dont want to blow a head gasket lol.

we use them all the time at my shop class, on the engine rebuilds and head gasket jobs. works great, skip the scraping and whack it off!

also i think the absolute BEST way to clean the head surface is the get the deck shaved by a machine shop, leaves a fresh, flat surface, better than any cleaning or pads would do.

Foxfan88 said:
also i think the absolute BEST way to clean the head surface is the get the deck shaved by a machine shop, leaves a fresh, flat surface, better than any cleaning or pads would do.

That pedends on head gakset.I know we had our local machine shop check our decks on the Dart IE block,and I was a little surpirsed to hear they were perfectly flat and they had a smoother finish than they can get.

I forget exactly,but I belive when I called Dart they said the block will be between 24 and 50 RA depending on the conditions of the stones that day.