best way to find tdc

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
i just installed a new dizzy and get to set the timming and i need to know the best way to find tdc

i pulled #1 plug, turned engine and found compression, then put a rod in the plug hole and turned the engine with a breaker bar on the crank to get it till the rod started to fall again, i know there is a better way help? thanks, sorry for the dump ?

• Sponsors (?)

billison said:
i pulled #1 plug, turned engine and found compression, then put a rod in the plug hole and turned the engine with a breaker bar on the crank to get it till the rod started to fall again,

That's always worked for me. Not the most precise method, but it will get you real close.

Jeff

1, do i need to wait for the engine to suck my finger in or push my finger out?

i did it as listed above till it was at tdc , i could see the piston with a flashlight through the plug hole, set the timing starting with the post the dizzy was pointing at, turned it back just a bit and it's almost starting,used starting fluid and it tried to start, i just installed the intake and carb, i don't think i have all the vac lines taken care off and i'm having problems with fuel lines, but it'd still run for a sec with startin fluid right?

Yes, the balancer shows TDC (technically when it's at 0*), but when setting the timing, you must find TDC on the Compression stroke, which is why you want to feel the air blowing out of the spark plug hole (piston compressing the air w/ the spark plug removed = air from the spark plug hole).

Some people put a piece of paper towel or such in the spark plug hole and wait for it to blow out to find the compression stroke.