Best way to get the cowl and mirrors to look black again?

• Sponsors (?)

BlueDevil95 said:
if you prep them right, they'll look great for several years. for now you can try mothers back to black.
What would be the best way to prep them? Do I need a certian paint or will any flat black enamel work? Prokiller, I have a white car so I don't think it would look that good.

I'm not being a smart ass when I say this - but why don't you just buy a new cowl cover? I bought one right from Ford for like 35 bucks. Of course you would pay less by trying to "restore" them, but how long would that last?

Joe

I am interested in painting mine also, could someone give some more info on how to do this?

Is there body color spray paint you can buy to match the car like touch up paint? I would much rather try to do it myself if at all possible rather than paying big bucks to have a shop do it.

Guys,

I just used good old Turtle Wax (paste car wax) and waxed them a couple times with a clean white cloth (old t-shirt).

First time took most of the crud off, second time brought back a nice black shine to them. They look new now.

If yours aren't too far gone, I'd try this first.

to properly prep them, sand them down with a rough grit sandpaper first, then go over them again with a finer grit to smooth them out. clean them with alchohol, let them dry, use a good primer or adhesion promoter, do two coats of that, let that dry and paint. clear coat them for the glossy look or use satin paint for the oe look. you can go to your local ford dealer and they can sell you a really nice aerosol system and perfectly matched paint for your car for a pretty decent price (i think it was around 40-50 dollars for a quart of paint and the aerosol deal) if you wanted to match body color.