Best year 5.0 motor to get?

BlueBronk

Feb 26, 2004
New to the 5.0 world so forgive the dumb questions. Thought I posted earlier , but can't find it. I am doing a conversion and wanted to know the best years of the 5.0 to use. It may be used as a 331 or 347 stroker eventually. I have heard that the 89-91's are the best to build. Any truth to that? I have a great deal on a '93 w/ 90K on it out of a GT for almost free, minus the computer box and harness. How much are comp.box and harness's in used condition. I am assuming that the '93 is a roller motor and I heard they had hyprtuenic pistons. Is this a bad thing about the pistons? Any info and advice is appreciated.

Thanks Much,

BlueBronk

• Sponsors (?)

The switch to hypereutectic pistons occurred during the end of the 92 production run - so there are some late-build (july/aug) 92's that had hypers in them. If you're gonna build a stroker, the rotating bits are gonna change as are the heads and intake/exhaust. So basically you're just buying a block. Any year will do. Most folks like the A9L computer as it seems to tolerate changes the best.

hyperuetectic pistons dont like lean situations... detonation kills them... if you plan on doing a power adder in the future (nitrous or some type of forced induction), stay away from hyper pistons... I am doing a hyper pistoned 306 build right now becuase i am doing no power adder at all, hyper pistons will be just fine. Now when you do a 347 stroker for example, you will pretty much be changing out all your internals as stated above...