Best year(s) for a track mustang

Jiffycake

Oct 26, 2005
I was wondering what the best year is for road racing/autox'ing a classic mustang in terms of weight, chassis, etc. 65-66, 67-68, 69-70

Does anybody know the different weights of the years for the coupes? I know they are different according to trims,options, engines, etc. Maybe some ranges in weight? I want to know the best base for starting out.

thank you in advance :)

• Sponsors (?)

thanks for the link!. That is sweet!! just what I was looking for!!, yeah I was thinking the 65-66 route too. repro parts are cheapest for the earliest years also which is a plus :)

Really depends on how you build it. Remember, the 1970 BOSS 302's were the Trans-Am Champs, the 1967 Mustangs also won that year, and so on. 67-70's have a 2" wider track, so that may help a little. The 65-66's just have more historical signifigance.

All it really takes is cash, lots of cash.....

I have a 66 coupe track car and am just finishing up on a 68. Other than the 2 inches more width in the engine compartment and torque boxes, there's not really that much difference. It truly depends on your overall goal and how radical you want to get with the weight, suspension etc. I chose the 68 over a 67 because of the torque boxes. I added torque boxes to the 66 and that was a little bit of a pain but very do-able. (is that a word)

I resto'd the 66 to the point where it's almost too nice to put on the track, so I started over with a 68.

Find a nice, no to little rust car, in what every year you really like and have at it.