BFG drag radials, worn out when?

• Sponsors (?)

I just need them for the strip. A guy i know said to burn the tread off, then they're ready to go. Bought them used dirt cheap. I'm hoping to get maybe a season out of them. I had new M/T's ordered since mid august but it's tough to get any up here at the end of the season. Seasons over now anyway. I'll have to wait till next year to try them. I wanted to get a few runs in with drag radials before the season ended, to see how they helped the way my car is. If my 60ft didn't improve much, I was going to go with a high stall torque convertor. If the 60 ft's were good I was going to change cams. :shrug:

My experiance with them was diffrent, I ran them on my 91Gt for a summer and fall of street and track duty. When they were new I recorded my best times 7.96 eighth mile, 1.69 60foot time :D , and by the end of the fall (got them new in July, got rid of them in October) my 60foot times droped to 1.80's :nonono: I say this not only because of the track difference but driveing on them in general I could tell they were not hooking like they did a few weeks earlier. By the time I got rid of them they were no better than a set of regular street tires,and the tread was completly gone so this makes me wonder about burning the tread off when they are new :shrug: , I would ask a few other people who have had them before I did something like that. Even if you did get them used you want to get the most out of them while you can. :nice:

98blackmagic said:
My experiance with them was diffrent, I ran them on my 91Gt for a summer and fall of street and track duty. When they were new I recorded my best times 7.96 eighth mile, 1.69 60foot time :D , and by the end of the fall (got them new in July, got rid of them in October) my 60foot times droped to 1.80's :nonono: I say this not only because of the track difference but driveing on them in general I could tell they were not hooking like they did a few weeks earlier. By the time I got rid of them they were no better than a set of regular street tires,and the tread was completly gone so this makes me wonder about burning the tread off when they are new :shrug: , I would ask a few other people who have had them before I did something like that. Even if you did get them used you want to get the most out of them while you can. :nice:
Impressive times! :nice: I was hoping for a 1.8 60ft. You didn't happen to run drag radials before changing your torque convertor did you?
I agree with you, it only makes sense to make them last as long as possible.

You heat them up at the track so they grip better, not to burn off the tread, although that happens. I ran a 1.8 60' my first time out on realitively new bfg's, no stall, I would think the more track contact, the better, but it's hard to argue with actual 60' times, good info !

I plan on doing both, eventually, but I limit my spending each year. I agree the cams will definetly will work better with the high stall. I plan on one upgrade this winter while it's parked, and then the next, the following year. For the track, the torque convertor would be probably the best choice, but for everyday driving, the cams would be better? Decisions, decisions. I'll be adding an off road x-pipe for good measure.

o3redfire said:
for the track, the less tread the better, more like slick, but you don't want to get caught in the rain with no tread on the street, also cops look for that stuff on the street

What he said. I had a set worn down to the wear bars and got caught in a sudden down pour at 70 miles and hours. Several fishtails and 2 loops later I was in the median on the highway. Fortunatly no one got hurt and the car was not damaged. The responding cop looked at my tires, looked at me for a second and handed me his card and said call me if you need an accident report. Never said anything about the tires. Probably figured I'd had a bad enough day at that point since I was hung up in a ditch 30 feet from the road on soaking wet, tall grass. Like ice it was.

Moral is be careful in the rain with nearly worn out (for the street) DR's, but they were working real good at the track. Better each time I went back till they got cut up in the accident.

MaxedGT said:
Impressive times! :nice: I was hoping for a 1.8 60ft. You didn't happen to run drag radials before changing your torque convertor did you?
I agree with you, it only makes sense to make them last as long as possible.

On my 91GT I ran the BFG drags from the mid of summer to the end of fall 2003, they were great I wish I would have had them the entire time I had the car with a five-speed they do wonders. I sold it shortly after I caned the drags and bought my 98Gt I have now. I didn't have the drag tires before I got the stall, there really wasnt any need for them. Now however there is no way I would have it without the BFG's the 2800 stall works great, and the drag radials gives you every bit of the gains provided by the converter. Spin is almost completely gone except for wet roads or after pulling out from the car wash :D :D . For anyone who likes to play on the roads a little bit, even though we all know we shouldn't :rolleyes: they are great, gives you a big advantage over someone with regular street tires. :nice:

So here's my plan. High stall torque convertor, tranny cooler, off road x-pipe, and J-mode. Hoping for a 13.1. 13.2 should be easy, I think.
There's I guy I know, with a 99 GT that looks almost identical to mine, who runs 12.9, and has run 12.8 with all the bolt ons, including long tubes. 5 speed stick. I've raced hiim a couple of times and beat his reaction time by .4 seconds both times. Of course he beats me, but he has to chase me down. Id love to see his face, after he has to chase me down right to the end of 1/4. Im the only guy at that track running an auto in late model Mustang so that would be really sweat. The Mustang guys at this track, think autos are gay. I llove a challenge.

Yea with a 1.7 60FT the car would be well into the 12s lol. But my 60fts are about like yours...good for street tires though. But I have NEVER been to the track more than onece on a particular setup :shrug: ...so that doesnt help. Everytime I go, I have to relearn how to lunch the car because A. I have different tires (havnt been to the track yet on the same tires) and B. I have added more power (yet again havent been back to the track with the same HP). And its going basically the same way again next time :rlaugh: .(DRs that I have run once while I was @ 248RWHP...now ill have about 300RWHP{LTs and stuff}, so I have to relearn AGAIN :nonono: )

hotmustang331 said:
Yea with a 1.7 60FT the car would be well into the 12s lol. But my 60fts are about like yours...good for street tires though. But I have NEVER been to the track more than onece on a particular setup :shrug: ...so that doesnt help. Everytime I go, I have to relearn how to lunch the car because A. I have different tires (havnt been to the track yet on the same tires) and B. I have added more power (yet again havent been back to the track with the same HP). And its going basically the same way again next time :rlaugh: .(DRs that I have run once while I was @ 248RWHP...now ill have about 300RWHP{LTs and stuff}, so I have to relearn AGAIN :nonono: )
That's what I find fun. Learning how to get the most from what I've got, and finding out how much the mods have improved my times. I also like to guess what I'll run after making changes, then trying to reach that goal. For this season I was hoping to hit 13.6 with drag radials. Unfortunately the season ended at the local track before I got my drag radials. Still I ran 13.7 on streets, and I'm happy with that. Might have run 13.5 with the drag radials, 13.6 for sure.
Next years goal is 13.2, hopefully 13.1.
You made comments about running fast in Canada. The weather here where I am is the same as Seatle Washington. Toronto or Montreal would be much like New York. The good thing about the track were I'm at, is it's only about 35 ft above sea level. Being in Texas though I bet it must be pretty hot almost all the time. That will have a big impact on your times. I bet even a 50 hp shot of nitrous would make a big differance in the heat.