Big Brake Kits

Anyone got any experience of these. I've been looking at LM Performance and some other sites and they range from a 2 piston Baer GT Plus 14" kit for $900 which I don't think comes with ss lines or anything to a 4 piston Wilwood for about $1800 to 6 pot racing brakes for well over $2500.

I'm supercharging my Mustang with the 462bhp HO Vortech so consider the brakes should be upgraded. It will be mainly street use, some fast cross-country and maybe one or two drags but I've got a 4000 mile a year policy so it won't be seeing heavy use.

Would the Baer kit be OK or should I go for the 4 pot Wilwoods? I think the 6 pots are probably overkill and out of my budget range.

• Sponsors (?)

Any brake kit will do... IT will really depend on the size of your wallet. Baer kits have always worked great but so do the other companies. What ever kit you get, make sure you get a larger rotor (from the stock size) because that is what will do the most for slowing the car down.

LV51FER said:
Anyone got any experience of these. I've been looking at LM Performance and some other sites and they range from a 2 piston Baer GT Plus 14" kit for $900 which I don't think comes with ss lines or anything to a 4 piston Wilwood for about $1800 to 6 pot racing brakes for well over $2500.

I'm supercharging my Mustang with the 462bhp HO Vortech so consider the brakes should be upgraded. It will be mainly street use, some fast cross-country and maybe one or two drags but I've got a 4000 mile a year policy so it won't be seeing heavy use.

Would the Baer kit be OK or should I go for the 4 pot Wilwoods? I think the 6 pots are probably overkill and out of my budget range.

The 2 piston Baers are still floating calipers. I would go with the fixed caliper 6 piston Wilwoods

6 pot wilwoods with 13" rotors 140-9109 $1795.00 140-1909D $1895.00
6 pot wilwoods with 14" rotors 140-9110 $1920.00 140-1910D $2020.00
Add the suffix "D" for crossdrilled

If you're looking for the occasional hard stop, the factory brakes will do. By and large, big brake kits will help braking torque somewhat, but their most significant benefit is in longevity (ie, track use). Larger calipers (assuming larger pads) will develop more total brake torque (and generally a more even pad application). Larger rotors will do absolutely nothing for brake torque, but if you are repeatedly hammering the brakes (ie, track use again), a larger rotor (assuming it's also a better rotor) will remove more heat, thus allowing the brakes to run cooler and last longer before either fading, boiling the fluid, or wearing out the pads.

If somewhat aggressive street use is the only thing you plan to do with the car, the factory setup with good pads will more than suffice. Even on the track, the factory calipers and rotors with dedicated track pads will do just fine unless you are an animal (and even then, just because you can destory or overheat your pads... doesn't mean you're using the brakes to their potential).

Solid, vented rotors are the best rotors for performance. Drilled rotors are purely cosmetic and prone to cracking under severe use, and slotted rotors are only required if you're using cheap pads (degassing is an issue mostly put to bed).

I've got Wilwood 6 piston calipers and 13.1" slotted rotors on my Marauder, but it's a big heavy car and puts the extra braking power to good use. When I get my Mustang, though, I'm planning on leaving the stock calipers in place and replacing the stock rotors with PowerSlot gas slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads all around, or something similar. Seems like the stock brakes are pretty good as is. I'd just like to give them a little bump in performance.

I have the 14" Saleen brakes and there is a big difference between big brakes and stock. I test drove a GT and thought the brakes were awesome, but when I drove the Saleen and braked hard. I couldn’t believe the difference; I was almost thrown through the windshield.

I'm running Precision Brakes Company's 14" 4-piston front and rear kits. They use the Wilwood Superlite calipers and come with great mounting hardware and two-piece rotors. They look great and work much better than the stock setup. Check them out at www.precisionbrakescompany.com. If you call them, ask for Laramie and mention Kris's 05 Mustang. He'll tell you more about their kits.

Kris Horton