big ol brake problem.....need experienced people

HazMat404

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
k....well my back brakes were a lil busted (squecking) so it was time to change them and turn the rotors. well i took them off all fine (had to hit the hammer a few times to bust them off). well everything went back on but the brackets for the calipers have 2 "pistons" that are supposed to go in and out to let the caliper move in easily and get into place. well 3 outta 4 of those "pistons" are ceased and i cannot move the rubber boot and slide the piston in and move them. they are flat out ceased. ive tried a vise and penatrating fluid. last thing i want/need to do is replace them. just curious if someone has had this problem and/or fixdd this. wish i knew about brakes before i owned my car so i could grease them every so often and not get dicked over by a simple brake job....thanx

• Sponsors (?)

well they arent connected to anything. they are a small closed system. sorry if any of that doesnt make sense, kinda was....uhhh, outta it when i wrote that :) . there is the caliper then the bracket that it attaches to that goes over the rotor. well the bracket has 2 small pistons that need to be greased every so often im guessing. well they are locked (one is free to move like it is supposed to) and no matter what i try, i cannot free them.

im going to take the brackets to a brake place today to see what they say but id rather do it myself if possible

UM... the back brake pistons don't "push" or "squeez" back into place, they must be rotated, turned or screwed back into the caliper. You can use some needle nose pliers, or buy a little tool at A-Zone etc.. for about $10.

I know exactly what you mean. One of mine were completely seized when I replaced my pads. The pad that was on the outside was worn crooked as a result. I disconnected the brake line and threw the caliper into a vise and just kept twisting the pin that should slide until i could finally get it out. Then I cleaned everything as thorough as possible, and lubed it back up with black grease (not too much, or you'll have a hydraulic lock-up). Worked fine ever since. You just have to pull the caliper and secure so you can wrench on that pin with some channel locks. good luck.

i tried everything i could and just brought it to a shop. they heated the hell outta them and pulled them out. they were all pitted and stuff. i think im going to pick a few new pins (guess you could call them that) for them and pray they dont seize again. thanx guys