BIG TURBO SET UP NEXT YEAR, NEED ADVICE

DNA DOA

Apr 3, 2005
Scappoose
I know there are large hair drier fox bodies out there. I want to start my research now for next years build up of a turbo. Anyone out there with advice, opinions, names, pictures, contacts, home projects, facts, and websites drop me a line.

The latest issue of MM&FF gave me great ideas on some companies and brought up some questions like proper sized turbos to fit the engine combos etc. compressor side and the turbine side. Much to learn.

The kind of power I want in my summer daily driver/1320 freak notchback is around 600-700 + hp at the wheels. So I am sure a Dart block or R302 is in order. At 2600 bucks per block I am going to do this right the first time.

What else should I consider? Anyone heard of Turbo Terry Ryan? Can Krazy Koncepts help me out in this department?

Thanks again.

Ben :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Terry is a really good guy to talk to, so is Big E' for that matter. The best part is they are both close by.
Check out the turbomustangs.com site and forums, those guys have ALOTT of knowledge base.
Also the neadsupnw site has some turbo guys who run reeeeaaallll hard (Terry and Erik among them).
You might also give Jeff and Jeff a call, they both have (or are building) turbo cars, and they are always helpfull.
Jon and some of the guys at KK have strong turbo cars too, all would be good sources.

DD
:flag: :nice:

Well here is my input. Prepare to spend at least 20%+ more than what you expect. Its always the little nickel dime shi* that adds up quick.

I just went turbo. All I can say is being patient. Do go too big. Every mag. I have read says a tad too small is better and more fun than a tad too big.

Also dont under estimate the drain line. Run the BIGGEST and shortest and straighest drain you can. And a individual line per turbo also.

A great point of contact for turbo work is Kent at Turbo Charger Tech. in Scapoose WA. 503-543-3707

I will post his work he did for me. Upgraded my Turbonetics 60-hi-fi's to 67mm wheels custom made and balanced with a custom 4" inlet, 3" discharge housing. Alot of "custom" bearing and seal work. AWESOME WORK!! He coats the housing w/ high heat coating, includes a gasket, tags and bags it!! And trust me, he BACKS UP HIS WORK. If it is a defect on his side he will take care of it, if you suck a chevy up through the impeller, well he will make you a good deal on a new one!!

Also KRAZY KONCEPTS, 503-674-0853
I can say is I have been in a few of their turbo cars for a ride, and I figured if they can get a single to haul ass like that, I would run twins to see how much faster we could go!!! Krazy Jons turbo Cobra, the baddest REAL street car around, Nuff Said!

And Check ALL of the plugs, not the easy ones, HAHA
Hope this helps! I have been down the long road, blower nos turbo.

As far as advice on turbo sizing and applications, it is always good to read up and educate yourself, before talking to manufacturers and dealers. As stated, turbomustangs.com is an excellent resource. They have an "ultimate guide to turbocharging" that should answer all your application and design questions. I agree that you will have to be patient. There are a lot of players in the pre-fab mustang turbo kit market now, so delivery times are better than they were a year ago. Having said that, plan to wait 1 to 2 months (on average) for a complete kit to arrive. Do you want those projected horsepower numbers to be made at the wheels with pump gas, or C-16?

700rwhp is going to be tough on any car with pump fuel. Not if you one those little baby few second dyno runs. But if your going wot for long pulls it's tough to do reliabily.
Fox body mustang with 700rwhp would be a total thrill ride though!

DNA DOA said:
I
What else should I consider? Anyone heard of Turbo Terry Ryan? Can Krazy Koncepts help me out in this department?

Thanks again.

Ben :flag:

Yes, I have heard of Terry. :D Terry knows his stuff! :nice: My car would never have ran the times that it did without his advice and help tuning. I am sure Eric (waterpog), Vulcan (Santa), Sandi, and Dan will all say the same.

Scott

Thanks, it has been a long winter. The car is on the rack right now getting some "rear end" work done, and I am waiting for the arrival of some "drive line" parts and she will be ready to dyno again, and then the track.

This year will be very conservative for me, I dont want to break first trip and spend another two years fixing it.

DNA DOA,
Just a thought, but if you want 600-700 to the tire, why not look at a 351 set-up? You could run less boost through a descent size turbo, cut back on the intake temps and save your pistons some.

You gonna run air/air on the street w/ 700hp??? Not sure how well that will go.

I guess you could go either way, but a daily driven 600-700 rwhp car is not all that fun on the street! The tune you would need to pull those numbers will be pretty HOT and you will just blow the tires off every time you touch the pedal. In first, second, third, fourth so on, and talk about rev limiter, you will be all over it on the street w/ 700 and slicks, and rev limiter and boost all the time is hard on parts.

Just thinking out loud.

Or if thats your killer looking blue cobra in the avatar boost that baby up. Did you see the recent 5.0 mag. King of the street shoot out went to a cobra, 800 hp daily driver.

I opted for the 351, there is no replacment like displacment filled to the brim with boost!!

I would just be concearned with charge temp on a high hp street set-up, esp. w/ pump gas. Unless daily driver means the occ. blast when the weather is nice w/ a pit stop here and there.

Mine rolls the street fine on pump, but the coolant temp starts to creep quick the more I stab it into some boost, but I went air/water under the hood to save the passenger seat and it crowds my radiatior a tad which could be more of the reason than any.

And yes I forgot to throw Terry in there, I have talked to him a few times, and he was a great help. You can also talk to Scott (blackhole hunter) for I think Terry did all his turbo stuff, and that car gets it!! White Power! (car that is)

I was trying to post his video but I cant???:shrug:

One other question that's important is the transmission. There's a big difference between 700whp through a torque converter and 700whp througgh a clutch like your typical supra.

Honestly you could probably get a 700whp 400ish inch motor with a clutch to last for a good long time in an early production 351w block.
Here's a little tidbit you may be interested in...
http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=337

And FWIW, Terry is THE tuner as far as I'm concerned.