Bird $hit + Paint = Pi$$ed

jprez22

Jan 24, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys this is a repost, the people in the technical threads said it would be better here:

I need some advice...today at lunch I parked under a tree and was eating lunch for an hour. I walked out to my car and literally wanted to cut the tree down There was so much bird crap all over my car.. it was so bad I couldnt' see out the windshield very well. My question is would having bird crap on the car for about an hour hurt the paint? I immediately went and washed the car off but I'm concerned. The last time I waxed the car was in October and the water still beads so I hope i'm good. Suggestions? (besides not parking under a tree of course)

JP

• Sponsors (?)

StangVert00 said:
Good advice. Bird crap eats paint, very fast.

On a lighter side.... Be thankful you don't have a 'Vert and the top was down.
Now THAT would be a big problem! :rolleyes:

StangVert00

Kid at school did that. Had to put a picture like that in the yearbook.

Hondaboy said:
Kid at school did that. Had to put a picture like that in the yearbook.

Actually, I did that, too! :rlaugh: :rolleyes:
Top was up, though, Thank God!

It seems birds LOVE a 'Vert when the top is down.
It happened to me one time when the top was down.(Not under a tree, though)
I got back in time to see a "white mess" on my leather seat.
I am glad it did not dry, as I was able to wipe it up before it stained it.

StangVert00

I just want to put in my two cents about this.

Due to our neighbor not fixing up his house in about the last 10 years, we have a horrible problem with pidgeons. We can either park in our driveway (in between our house and his), and get hit with them there, or in front of our house, which has a huge tree that other birds nest in, and get hit by those!

Anyway, so far neither of us has had any damage to the paint jobs of our cars. They're both clearcoated, like every car is these days, and I think that does a pretty good job. However if your car doesn't have a clearcoat on it, you're screwed if it doesn't get washed right away.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't take care of it though. Now that I'm in a 2004 mustang convertible (as opposed to the oldsmobile achieva that i was driving before), I do make sure to wash it regularly...we have a Delta Sonic 5 minutes away from me, so i get the 5-day free wash thing.

If you're really nervous and this is something that happens on a regular basis, you may want to look into the new coating they have...it's supposed to stop acid rain from hurting the finish, and I would think if it helps protect against acid rain, it would certainly help with birds.