Build Thread Bird_dog0347's Frankenstang, sure is nice of us to build a car around the fuel filler door

Lower intake torqued, dizzy stabbed but I think I need to redo it as the TFI will hit... Water pump, crank pulley, and a few brackets on for the alt and PS Pump. Too much family stuff tonight so that's as far as I'm getting today.

C9506795-7C8D-4B6F-B88C-739ACB11CEDC_zps1voh9r1q.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

@bird_dog0347 You Sir are a bad influence! Every time I think I have myself talked into keeping my 5.0 "stock" I see something like what you're doing and I find myself wondering what It'd be like to have an HCI motor and about 300'ish rwhp :scratch:

LOL, just take your time man. I have been slowly doing this over like the last 3.5 years, just picking up parts cheap when I find them knowing it might be a while before I can install them. You want to talk bad influence though, I see all these guys with nice clean engine bays and good paint like @Davedacarpainter or @hoopty5.0 and I just wanted to yank the short block while it was down to that and go whole hog cleaning it up. But I know that really I just want to drive it for now and enjoy it, it REALLY needs a paint job and when I do that I will go all out on it but since I don't have the time or money I won't start it yet. Just waiting as long as I have been already on the HCI swap has me unable to focus or care about other minor things like work and family... I'm gonna work from home again Friday, and hope to have the car running by early this weekend.

Just keep your eyes open for deals that fit the goal of your car, and don't change your goal every five minutes like @hoopty5.0 and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
LOL, just take your time man. I have been slowly doing this over like the last 3.5 years, just picking up parts cheap when I find them knowing it might be a while before I can install them. You want to talk bad influence though, I see all these guys with nice clean engine bays and good paint like @Davedacarpainter or @hoopty5.0 and I just wanted to yank the short block while it was down to that and go whole hog cleaning it up. But I know that really I just want to drive it for now and enjoy it, it REALLY needs a paint job and when I do that I will go all out on it but since I don't have the time or money I won't start it yet. Just waiting as long as I have been already on the HCI swap has me unable to focus or care about other minor things like work and family... I'm gonna work from home again Friday, and hope to have the car running by early this weekend.

Just keep your eyes open for deals that fit the goal of your car, and don't change your goal every five minutes like @hoopty5.0 and you'll be fine.
Like Collin, LOL! What you don't know is that I already have a complete HCI engine with T5 trans hooked up to it with a PIMP engine management ECU sitting in my garage under my work bench ready to install. I'm trying to talk myself out of a potential HP addiction problem like others have.

This is the setup I have in the pic below with the Anderson power pipe and all. I have been going back and forth in my head like a broken record for several months, should I install it or sell it? I really like the reliability of stock and I think the stock 5.0 engine helps retain value :shrug: But i love me some HP too!
Anderson pipe.jpg

No, he means resemble... lol

And yeah, I totally forgot you had that motor. Drive it for a summer as is, then swap it all out this winter. Just make sure you're able to get miles on it and enjoy it.

And STOP showing me engine bays like that!

Reactions: 1 users

And yeah, I totally forgot you had that motor. Drive it for a summer as is, then swap it all out this winter. Just make sure you're able to get miles on it and enjoy it.

Regardless this next winter my stock motor will be coming out for a new main seal and oil pan gasket. Question is, which motor is making it back in to my car? Will my welder and grinder stay away from my engine bay? I can say this much, smoothing the engine bay wasn't that difficult and would go faster and easier the second time around. Who knows what will happen, only time will tell :D

Oh by the way, have I posted a picture of my old coupe yet?
IMAG2748.jpg

@Davedacarpainter Do you find yourself just staring at your engine bay and smiling after smoothing and painting it? With a beer in your hand? I have smooth engine bay envy. lol

Regardless this next winter my stock motor will be coming out for a new main seal and oil pan gasket. Question is, which motor is making it back in to my car? Will my welder and grinder stay away from my engine bay? I can say this much, smoothing the engine bay wasn't that difficult and would go faster and easier the second time around. Who knows what will happen, only time will tell :D

Oh by the way, have I posted a picture of my old coupe yet?
IMAG2748.jpg

@Davedacarpainter Do you find yourself just staring at your engine bay and smiling after smoothing and painting it? With a beer in your hand? I have smooth engine bay envy. lol
I've been staring at it since those nice Scott Rod panels came in! Now that it's painted, it just looks so good.

In about two months I'll have the motor back in. I can't wait to see it that way. I'll probably tuck the wires a little bit, a mini-tuck, so to speak.

So, since it's your fault that I did mine, you have no choice but to do yours!:nice:

Yeah, he'll want to see it in red anyhow. Like this:
image.jpeg

So I didn't plan on needing the plugs for the front of the motor to put the accessories on, only the rear for the non existent smog/egr crap. So I've ordered another set, and I need to get a tap in 5/8 X 11 to chase the threads for it.

Tonight I got my injectors all fixed up with o rings and cups, installed them, installed valve covers with gaskets... Cooling system is all I. Place except the top hose as I plan to fill the motor and radiator at that point before closing it up to get it almost full before starting it.

Tomorrow I'll focus on the drivers side header and exhaust while I wait till Friday for the plugs. Hoping to start it Friday or Saturday.

50EC61BF-DF7E-4E3F-8CD1-E59D17C70777_zpsff9gdgut.jpg

96FE6064-57EF-438F-8DD0-214FE0371946_zpsdfcxter6.jpg

Attachments

• C9506795-7C8D-4B6F-B88C-739ACB11CEDC_zps1voh9r1q.jpg
    C9506795-7C8D-4B6F-B88C-739ACB11CEDC_zps1voh9r1q.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: 4 users
So yesterday afternoon I got the drivers header on there along with a few other things just to discover that my dumb ass moved the steering shaft too far and couldn't put it back on with the header there... So the header came back off to redo it this morning. This was where I started out this morning.

18A301B1-A286-47FD-9D01-8E6A8CA2BAFA_zpsvr0ebjna.jpg

Here you can see how I forgot about the shaft.

97E55E6A-15E4-4D51-8481-03CC37FC37BD_zpsq9ppqjb2.jpg

Here's where I'm at now, taking a bit of a break with some chips and salsa. Hope to try and start it tonight.

356DAD47-F19A-4826-BD41-7AA9C6B0E4BB_zpsqfzdfmwr.jpg
3A564BB5-1D50-46E6-9EA5-837564EB5087_zpsi9vnj6no.jpg

Reactions: 3 users