Build Thread Bird_dog0347's Frankenstang, sure is nice of us to build a car around the fuel filler door

Well yesterday afternoon I had some time to work on it, I got the driver's side SFC halfway welded in before I ran out of time and almost out of welding gas.

xxtCdW6.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So I've had about 14 QUALITY minutes to spend on the car the last few days and accomplished ALMOST nothing. I say almost nothing cause I came up just short of nothing. I'll try to suck less.

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of hours and lots of “the Dumb”, I dig it. The next couple of days I’ll just be looking at my engine when I go out the door and when I come home at night to go to bed.

Kind of tough to accomplish much in times like that.

Time will open back up for you soon, you’re doing great so far.:nice:

Turns out I haven't sucked less until this past weekend. I got my welding gas refilled and I'm almost done installing the SFC's. A few more welds then I can put it back together. I was going to go ahead and relocate the battery to the trunk but I'll have to drop the tank to install the box and I really don't feel like doing that right now so I'll wait till I eventually want to upgrade the fuel pump and do it all at once. I really just want to get it driving again and enjoy it for a while. (and yes, they were attached before I put it all up on jack stands... the inside welds are easier to do with it higher up and they were already on there before I put it on jackstands.

Reactions: 3 users
Turns out I haven't sucked less until this past weekend. I got my welding gas refilled and I'm almost done installing the SFC's. A few more welds then I can put it back together. I was going to go ahead and relocate the battery to the trunk but I'll have to drop the tank to install the box and I really don't feel like doing that right now so I'll wait till I eventually want to upgrade the fuel pump and do it all at once. I really just want to get it driving again and enjoy it for a while. (and yes, they were attached before I put it all up on jack stands... the inside welds are easier to do with it higher up and they were already on there before I put it on jackstands.

I hear ya about wanting to drive it again! I only had a taste of what my Daddywagon is going to be and I can’t wait to run it and terrorize the streets of Philly again!

I've been lazy for a while, but I've finally gotten the interior all put back together after finishing the work under the car. I got my stereo wiring cleaned up, and got the MS2PNP/WBO2 wiring tucked away with the MS2 mounted in the stock ECU location. Now the car needs a bath and inspection/registration which I will try to bang out at least one of those tomorrow. Then it's time to start focusing on the tune.

kf7Ct2z.jpg

GkGFKOm.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
How do you like the seats? I was looking at those before going with the 2013 seats I have in the car now.

If you need help on the MS tune I am around to help along with the others. There is a new sub-forum for tuning that Noobs put together as well.

How do you like the seats? I was looking at those before going with the 2013 seats I have in the car now.

If you need help on the MS tune I am around to help along with the others. There is a new sub-forum for tuning that Noobs put together as well.
Awesome, thanks man!

The seats are ok, not awesome but way better than the marshmallow seats it originally had. If you don't have a tilt wheel I do not recommend them as the thigh bolsters are pretty tall. If I had it to do over again I would have waited and paid another $300-$500 for some Corbeau seats.

Thanks man, I'm certainly in the running for the least amount accomplished in the longest period of time, but it's pretty close to where I want it to be mechanically so next I'll be on to the looks department. After I spend a while driving it that is, I might plastidip it though just to get it looking a little better.

So update... I got it registered and inspected, and started working on the tune as I had hoped. I drove it to a local meet and then back home only to have the loudest PS pump in the world all the way. Seriously, like a virgin getting railed by the ENTIRE football team on prom night kinda whine. When I got home, there was leaking from the rack on the passenger side. I had always planned to upgrade the steering next so the plan got expedited. I'm about half way done replacing the rack with the Cardone 22-2000 reman 04 Cobra rack, MM Hybrid shaft, reman pump, new hoses, Taurus outer tie rods and a bunch of cleaning/cussing. Last piece I'm waiting on is the high pressure hose which should be delivered tomorrow and then I can finish putting it back together. I've got all the old stuff off, the new pump installed along with the pulley, but I'm not going to install the rack until I get the hoses installed on it first so I have more room to work. Hopefully it's drivable by the weekend and ready to rock for the summer! I also snagged a 4" AFM PP for $120 over the weekend so that will go on with my new Accufab 75mm TB and new IAC.

I'll post more pics when done, and it will be a bit cleaner as well.

nF5LjwZ.jpg

LRhsRqi.jpg

hSeYZhE.jpg

nXQuHDR.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users
So I got it all installed, and ready to take for an alignment. I was able to work from home yesterday so that I could take it a half a mile away to the shop down the street that does my alignments and is the only place I've paid to do ANYTHING on my car (which is alignment only). So I get in the car yesterday morning around 9:30 to drive the .5 miles there, back out of the garage into the street and already I can tell a massive improvement in steering feel. As I try to straighten up on the road I immediately notice how sketchy and "darty" the car has become with the toe so out of whack. I knew the tires were pretty far toe in, but damn... any steering input over 15 mph and you're going HARD that direction. Especially since I'm coming from and old/busted 4 banger rack to the 04 Cobra unit... The lack of steering pump whine was AWESOME!

I got to the shop and asked for an alignment telling them no rush as I'll just walk home and come back when it's done... they remember the car and the guy was like oh yeah, that one's a PITA since it's got the IRS but I told him what all I changed and said he should not have to worry about the rear or front Caster/Camber since I didn't touch the plates or disconnect the strut from the spindles. I also told them to start the car and let it warm up some before they try to drive it on the rack so it settles into a nice idle (I've been fighting with that a lot lately). They say cool and I walk home and get back to work.

I get a call a couple of hours later saying they had a little problem. Their standard procedure is to drive it first to note what all they need to adjust on the alignment. Well, they got like 1/2 mile away and it died... they put it in a parking lot and I grabbed my laptop and went to check on it. They said it would start and idle but it would turn to a rough idle and then die if you gave it gas.

I got there like 20 minutes later as I was on a meeting and started it up... it seems fine, the WB gauge starts reading correctly and I can give it gas and rev it. I let it idle for a few more minutes then it got really rough and died with throttle. I checked the fuel pressure... very low. Key in the run position but engine off and my loud ass fuel pump was silent. Now I had to get it towed home, without an alignment, and I get to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump.

So... I'm thinking either a 190lph or maybe a 255lph and I guess I should go ahead and do the sending unit while I'm in there? Is there any reason NOT to go 255? The other upside is that I can finally install my trunk mounted battery box and relocate that while I have the tank out.

kGUAarV.jpg

If boost is in your future, skip the 190L. Otherwise, it will be fine. If you have a choice to make between a high pressure and low pressure, choose the high pressure version. They resist pressure surges better resulting from hydraulic changes (no better electrically really, that's what boost-a-pumps are for).

If boost is in your future, skip the 190L. Otherwise, it will be fine. If you have a choice to make between a high pressure and low pressure, choose the high pressure version. They resist pressure surges better resulting from hydraulic changes (no better electrically really, that's what boost-a-pumps are for).

No boost in my future, for sure not on this engine. Eventually I want to put a Coyote in it which will require it's own fuel system that won't carry over so I'm thinking a 155 or 190 would be FINE for what I have since I really don't plan to upgrade it much more, but I've not done a lot of research on this yet and I want to get an order placed so I can get it going.

No boost in my future, for sure not on this engine. Eventually I want to put a Coyote in it which will require it's own fuel system that won't carry over so I'm thinking a 155 or 190 would be FINE for what I have since I really don't plan to upgrade it much more, but I've not done a lot of research on this yet and I want to get an order placed so I can get it going.

This will get you started:
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/fuel-flow-forensics.55/history

It's a .pdf download.

Pretty sure I have a 190lph pump in the box somewhere in my shed.... only thing it needs is a filter I stole it for my 255.
PM me if interested i will never use it.