Build Thread Bird_dog0347's Frankenstang, sure is nice of us to build a car around the fuel filler door

• Sponsors (?)

Well, Kevin got the quarter panel cut out today and it's the worst "repair job" ever... going to have to replace more of the inner structure too, good thing we have all that stuff from the donor car. Also it looks like we will be replacing the driver's door frame up front as it's got some terrible "repairs" as well and the lower rocker piece too.

v2OOkNM.jpg

4BMkmBC.jpg

This is how thick the bondo was on the top of the quarter near the trunk.
IizN60Q.jpg

kxxGoWR.jpg

And where they "patched" the quarter.
asPCZun.jpg

also the driver's A Pillar/door mount and rocker had some rust issues they tried to "hide" with bondo, that whole structure will be cut out and replaced with the ones from the donor as well.
epu75PQ.jpg

5L9u3KL.jpg

Zdy9d2m.jpg

• Surprised
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Well, Kevin got the quarter panel cut out today and it's the worst "repair job" ever... going to have to replace more of the inner structure too, good thing we have all that stuff from the donor car. Also it looks like we will be replacing the driver's door frame up front as it's got some terrible "repairs" as well and the lower rocker piece too.

v2OOkNM.jpg

4BMkmBC.jpg

This is how thick the bondo was on the top of the quarter near the trunk.
IizN60Q.jpg

kxxGoWR.jpg

And where they "patched" the quarter.
asPCZun.jpg

also the driver's A Pillar/door mount and rocker had some rust issues they tried to "hide" with bondo, that whole structure will be cut out and replaced with the ones from the donor as well.
epu75PQ.jpg

5L9u3KL.jpg

Zdy9d2m.jpg

The donor may be an easier repair than this one!

Bill

Bill
Well, certainly not now, lol... But, the donor had no title and someone had "attempted" to install through the floor subframe connectors. Otherwise yes it likely would have been easier to make it look nice and swap everything else over. I knew it would be ugly under there, I just didn't know how bad, and Kevin said they are all worth saving so whatever. At least he hasn't told me the work I did was terrible, but maybe he hasn't looked under the floorpan where I replaced it yet to roll his eyes at my work.

Bill
I shopped very carefully for a donor coupe that fit everything this car would need while at the same time being cheap enough and close to me. This donor was perfect and had just the pieces I anticipated we would need. Plus the whole thing was cheaper than a used quarter. Nick’s had this car so long and looked at it in this terrible state for years..it deserves to be saved and given the K and K treatment and be a show quality car so he can cruise drive ins

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
I shopped very carefully for a donor coupe that fit everything this car would need while at the same time being cheap enough and close to me. This donor was perfect and had just the pieces I anticipated we would need. Plus the whole thing was cheaper than a used quarter. Nick’s had this car so long and looked at it in this terrible state for years..it deserves to be saved and given the K and K treatment and be a show quality car so he can cruise drive ins
Very true, for the price and considering it's got the rear quarter and inner structure in good shape, plus the door mount, rocker, and cowl that we need it was a steal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, but I was on LMR looking up a part I had bought before and going through the orders I've placed in the last 10 years, just with LMR alone I've spent $9,666.26 and I'm most certainly not done. That doesn't include things like wheels, brakes, TFS heads/Cam/GT-40 intake, current seats, the donor car for bodywork, half my MM suspension, the list goes on.

Maybe I shouldn't have done it, but I was on LMR looking up a part I had bought before and going through the orders I've placed in the last 10 years, just with LMR alone I've spent $9,666.26 and I'm most certainly not done. That doesn't include things like wheels, brakes, TFS heads/Cam/GT-40 intake, current seats, the donor car for bodywork, half my MM suspension, the list goes on.
I don't want to go back and look at all my receipts for that reason. I just wanna get it done!

Bill

Meh, it's less than $1k per year that I've owned it and I picked it up for $1k cash and dirt bike worth $2k. I will be well worth what I will have in it when it's done, especially with the prices on these things lately. And I don't care if my wife sees that, I told her what the budget was for the trip to K & K when we started planning that and I just assumed it would go over budget anyways.

Reactions: 2 users