Black Interior for a coupe

squeeeg

Founding Member
Jul 4, 2000
Michigan
I am in the process of trying to find all the parts for my black interrior. The only think that is really bugging me is my rear seatbelts. I have rear sholder belts. I have never seen these. I guess my question is how alike the front belts are the rears.

• Sponsors (?)

They are different belts, the rear ones sit horizontal, and the front ones sit vertically. The belts from a 90-93 coupe and hatch are the same thing, so either one will work if you find some.

And Mike, if you still have the black 3 point belts from your parts car, you can make them fit in your hatch. I did it on mine and they work fine. I did it before I changed to the 90 interior, so I bolted them directly to the wheel well with an extra set of the bolts that hold the seatbelt "B" pillar hanger in place and several washers under the car in the wheel well, and a nut on the inside. The belt pulls out a bit tight and makes some scraping noise, since it is going up and then out, but it works just fine.

Good luck guys!

Thomas

trbkrb said:
And Mike, if you still have the black 3 point belts from your parts car, you can make them fit in your hatch.

I didn't have any belts in that car. Don't ask me why but all the seat belts were removed.

So right now i have no rear seatbelts at all . it's ok because nobody ever sits in the back seat. I would do a rear seat delete but i don't like the look of them

As for the front belts, i still have my old red belts in. I do have a set of black belts from a '95. Gonna see if those will work

i just junked a 90 lx hatchback parts car of mine i t has a black interior i put the black interior in my 87 convertible but the rear seat and seatbelts i couldnt use so there still with the car they are black if any one is interested i can go to the junk yard and se if they still have the car they should i took it there like 2 weeks ago but ill sell them to ya just pay shipping and give me 10 bucks let me know

Bummer, Mike. Didn't you mention that the Mark 7 belts are the same? We have them all the time down here. If the 95 belts don't work, I can check on getting some of them for you if you like. I'll keep my eyes out for any other black belts also.

Thomas

trbkrb said:
They are different belts, the rear ones sit horizontal, and the front ones sit vertically. The belts from a 90-93 coupe and hatch are the same thing, so either one will work if you find some.

And Mike, if you still have the black 3 point belts from your parts car, you can make them fit in your hatch. I did it on mine and they work fine. I did it before I changed to the 90 interior, so I bolted them directly to the wheel well with an extra set of the bolts that hold the seatbelt "B" pillar hanger in place and several washers under the car in the wheel well, and a nut on the inside. The belt pulls out a bit tight and makes some scraping noise, since it is going up and then out, but it works just fine.

Good luck guys!

Thomas

Are you sure the rear belts are the same in the coupe and hatch??? I didn't hatches came with sholder belts

No........the 90-93 coupe and hatch have the same belts also. When Ford put in the airbag, they redesigned all the seat belts and added the three point belts for the rear seats. The coupe and hatch use the same mechanisms. I actually had some belts from a 93 coupe that I custom installed in my 87 under the plastic quarter panels about 5 years ago. When I got my 90 hatch black interior, the black hatch belts were exactly the same as the red coupe ones I took out. You can see the belt in this pic and where Ford extended the plastic quarter panel up to house the belt mechanism in the 90-93 hatch cars:
rseat1.jpg