Bleeding brakes

Dual bowl master cylinder is in. I used 67 mustang reservoir from O'Reilly's, $34.99, NMC 11390 and Classic tubes brake lines $22.95
  • MU14200O. I needed to accomodate for the brake switch in the old single bowl so I got a T-filling and brake switch from jegs and plumbed it into the rear brake line. I did a good job of bench bleeding the new reservoir. Install went well, new lines needed a bit of tweaking and a bit of jigsaw puzzle but it suddenly all when together. First couple pumps of brake pedal showed I had to tighten fittings at master cylinder, which I did. Topped off reservoir, no leaks and I have good pedal travel and hold pressure. Now, if I want to bleed all 4 wheel cylinders, do I have to remove wheel and tire, or is that just for convience ? It might actually be easier for me to roll around on a creeper from wheel to wheel, as it is to jack, support with jack stands, and reinstall 4 wheel and tires. And I have good pressure. Wonder if I could just drive it to nearest shop, get it up on rack, and have them bleed all 4 corners.

• Sponsors (?)

I guess that would depend a lot on your brake setup...some bleeders you can access without removing wheels, some you cant. In general people remove the wheels just because its easier access...it only take a couple minutes per wheel. That being said...there are other ways to bleed a hydraulic system. For my clutch system I have a spare reservoir cap that I hook a vacuum pump to via a hose barb and apply 20in of vacuum to while pumping the clutch, works like a charm...I guess that might depend on the slave/wheel cylinder though whether that works for a brake system...cant say I have ever tried it.

i would drive it to the nearest shop and have them bleed the system for you. in fact it would bea good idea to have them flush the old fluid out of the lines and replace with fresh. that way you dont have to worry about the old fluid contaminating the system with debris.

I did some checking, I can get a bleeder kit from autozone for $40 bucks. Their loaner does not have any fittings for bleed nipples, or hoses or catch cup. The shop next door will bleed all 4 corners and ensure lines are flushed and reservoir is full when done. $60 and nothing more cumbersome than a credit card. I'll make an appointment in the spring.

You don't need a bleeder kit...buy some speed bleeders and install them in place of the factory bleeder screws. One person brake bleeding, very easy...still won't affect whether or not you have to remove the wheels though.

Reactions: 1 user