bleeding early 302 cooling system

67rcks

Feb 20, 2008
The elbow pipe on the intake through which hot coolant gets to the heater is the highest point in the system. I have seen 4 or 5 different thermostats, and none of them had a bleeding orifice. These features cause air is hard to get off the system. Is there any clean way to bleed all of it?

• Sponsors (?)

The elbow pipe on the intake through which hot coolant gets to the heater is the highest point in the system. I have seen 4 or 5 different thermostats, and none of them had a bleeding orifice. These features cause air is hard to get off the system. Is there any clean way to bleed all of it?

The process I have use with success and starting with a dry engine, I leave the heater hose off of the connection in the manifold, and leave the temp sender out. Then, I add coolant to the rad and to the block through the temp sender hole. Once filled, I re-install the hose and the sender. Turn the interior heater controls to max on. Insure the coolant over flow is full. (yes, use a coolant overflow system). Fire it up check for leaks. Let it reach normal operating temps. Let it cool. Re-check the coolant over flow, should be less coolant. I remove the rad cap. If optimal, the coolant should be at the neck. If not re-cycle the heating/cooling. If all is working properly, your rad level should be at the filler neck.
Happy Trails!