Blew a headgasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racing a 3000 GT the other night I blew a headgasket...or thats what I'm thinking and hoping it is. :nonono: My question is, how much $$ will it be to replace?? On a supercharged 4.6 I know it will be alot but exactly how much do you guys think? Thanks guys..

• Sponsors (?)

ouch, i blew a head gasket, but i did a pi swap right after..

its jus the options you want to go with....new(used) engine with low miles,

or rebuild the heads, either way, motor has to come out.

and on that note, they are hard to blow....what are the symtoms?

lots of white smoke. will start, idles very rough, then shuts off, smells like raw fuel. only smoking out drivers side head. when u start, smokes out tailpipe. if its a headgasket why would the motor have to come out?? it better not be the motor its a $4,000 block.

yeah thats a head gasket problem. and im pretty sure theres oil in your coolent, check your dipstick too.
and from my experiance, i have never seen anyone change the heads without removing the entire engine on a 4.6, there doesnt seem to be enough room....or maybe i just have a virgin mind still.

yeah thats a head gasket problem. and im pretty sure theres oil in your coolent, check your dipstick too.
and from my experiance, i have never seen anyone change the heads without removing the entire engine on a 4.6, there doesnt seem to be enough room....or maybe i just have a virgin mind still.
Done a full swap and now taken off the heads again with the engine in their in the past 1.5 months, mater cylinder and such gets in the way - and torqueing the heads in sequence with them on is a PITA, but it's doable for sure.

Done a full swap and now taken off the heads again with the engine in their in the past 1.5 months, mater cylinder and such gets in the way - and torqueing the heads in sequence with them on is a PITA, but it's doable for sure.

the 96-98 have a lot more room in the engine bay compared to the 99-04 to work though when i look at them. but i can imagine what you mean when its a pita torching the heads down.

do a compression test and do a pressure test on the coolant system.

it can turn out to be something as simple as one of your intake tubing couplers poped off so start there

hmm i've seen plenty 4.6's blow head gaskets.

mine being one of them.

they replaced my head gaskets, with the motor still in the car, for $700 including parts (all sorts of gaskets and seals, plug boots, timing chain guides, fluids, etc.). It was a dealership mechanic who did it on the side and took two weeks.

It took my 40 hours to do mine in my garage... of course I had long tubes that I had to take off first... The dealership wanted 2500 to do it, and thats not including the longtubes. you can get a headswap kit from summit for 119.99 and do it yourself. If you have the stock manifolds it really shouldnt be all that hard.

Yikes: 40hrs? 700-2500$? :eek:

On my 2.3, I can change the head gasket in 1.5-2 hrs and it costs all of 11$ for the gasket. If you want to include the price of an oil change, then it sky rockets to about 27$.

yeah,very uncommon for 4.6 to blow a headgasket even though i have myself but there were other issues there,a failed waterpump lead to such.anyway you can deff do the head/heads in the car it just sucks.reason i did not get head studs when building my motor was so i still had access to getting my heads off in the car and what do you know,after 8k miles i gotta pull my pass. head now bc i broke a valvespring.anyway check your oil for a coffee lookin substance.i thought i blew a headgasket before too and then when i pulled over and looked around it just turned out to be a blown heater hose.also check you intake manifold,same deal and sometimes its hard to actually see where it has blown out.

the 96-98 have a lot more room in the engine bay compared to the 99-04 to work though when i look at them. but i can imagine what you mean when its a pita torching the heads down.

there the same size engine bay. Also it should not take more than 12 hours for some one to do this repair. They just need to drop the k-member/engine and take off the heads.

Yikes: 40hrs? 700-2500$? :eek:

On my 2.3, I can change the head gasket in 1.5-2 hrs and it costs all of 11$ for the gasket. If you want to include the price of an oil change, then it sky rockets to about 27$.

It took me 40 hours because I had to drop my kmember, take off my longtubes, bolt the kmember back on, take the heads off, get them checked out, put them back on, drop the k member, put the long tubes back on, put the kmember back on, reassemble everything.

I didnt think 40 hours was too bad considering I did everything solo. Putting the k member up by yourself is not fun, there was a beer break after each time!!

Needless to say most of my time was spent with the long tubes, if you dont have those its not bad at all. If you dont have cams, now is a good time to install them!

Status
Not open for further replies.