Blinker Problem

RedWings44

May 19, 2012
Yesterday I began having trouble with my turn signals. I would turn them on to turn or change lanes, etc. and then they randomly turn off while the leaver is still engaged. Sometimes it comes back on its own after a second or two and sometimes it requires me to move the lever to the off position and then back to my desired direction. Both the exterior and dash blinkers quit when this happens which leads me to believe that something is going bad in the lever. Any advice at all? Does anyone know anything about this?

• Sponsors (?)

I should also note that I have not tested the hazard lights. The high beam setting is unaffected and the wipers have not been run long enough to know for sure, but appear unaffected as well.

check your blinker fluid! haha jk
If the lever on your steering column still seems to be mechanically sound (not loose or failing to click into place), my money's on the flasher control unit.
Here's a quick and simple test. Cycle your four-way flashers. Do they function and provide the clicking sound? If not, it's your flasher circuit. If your four-ways work, then you may be looking at the fuse (cheap) or the column lever microswitch (expensive).

I haven't run the 4 ways long enough to be able to tell if they go out or not. But the problem is too inconsistent to be a fuse (well, any of the ones that I checked anyway). I don't know that it is the lever due to my high beams and wipers being unaffected.

I went under the dash and found the part that makes the clicking sound (unplugged it a few times to double check). It'll go and it'll stop randomly if the lever is engaged. The relay seems to me like the plausible explanation. AutoZone said check theconnectors at each bulb which made no sense to me as it was affecting both front and back when engaged and not limited to one side or the other.

My best guess is the hazards, if it's not that then it sounds like a worn out ignition switch? Turn your blinkers on and jiggle the key forward and back. Sometimes that's the case but I would assume it would affect more than just the blinkers but weirder things have happened! Best of luck!