blow off valve

88stangmangt

Nov 25, 2003
Stafford,VA
i am just about ready to buy a vortech-sc supercharger. i have no idea what a bov is do i need one? is that the thing on the turbo that makes that cool high pitch sound? can some one elaborate? i am gonna get it through superchargersforless.com

• Sponsors (?)

A blow off valve is there to equalize pressure when you are shifting, or letting off the gas. Pressure is created because of the turbo or the supercharger, and you do not want that to still be forced into the engine when you are shifting or off of the gas. When you let off the gas, the blow off valve opens and releases the pressure built up. It is usually the high pitched noise you hear on a turbo car, if they have an aftermarket one. I never heard one for a supercharger though.

If you get one for your supercharger, you want to put the blow off valve before the mass air sensor, so it can sense when there is less air coming in. If the mass air is before the blow off valve, then when you release the gas, the mass air will still think there is a lot of air going in, when the blow off valve is releasing it, causing the wrong amount of fuel to go in your engine.

I am not familiar with that model vortech, how many psi will it be pushing? I am not sure how much people run when they start putting blow off valves on. Someone else should know though.

Hope I informed you a bit on the functionality of a BOV, but sorry I couldn't help you with your specific application.

Im running a S-trim, 14lb pulley, and vortech mondo by-pass valve. The reason there called by-pass valves for superchargers is because the air being released needs to re-reouted back into the intake tract before the supercahrger, but after the MAF since it has already been measured. If the air is simple released, you will find yourself with a tuning issue everytime you shift or let off the gas. My mondo bypass valve has a tube attache to it at connects back to the power pipe. Iv attached a pic. good luck :D
valve.jpg

i have no idea what a bov is do i need one? is that the thing on the turbo that makes that cool high pitch sound?

That has a ricer overtone... As sureshot said the BOV just releases built up pressure between the blower and closed throttle plate back into the blower inlet after the MAF. The only sound you'll hear is the blower getting a little quieter as the pressure goes off the geartrain. A benefit is the blower will run cooler at cruise because it won't be building boost which equals heat.

Jamie

a bov is there so you wont damage your forced induction equipment, when the throttle plate closes all that air tries to go the other way...the bov vents to the atmosphere instead of letting the air flow in the opposite direction only shock the compressor and force it to quicly change direction ...i assume belt driven opposed to exhaust driven takes that much harder....