blower/engine build question

DrSmith

Sep 2, 2004
Maine
I had a "chat" with kenne bell today (they were great at getting back to me) and I want the larger mammoth kit. I need to build the bottom end of my car. Has anyone done a build on the stock engine to handle high boost? I want to go with the largest blower I can get now, so I don't have to have regrets later. I'm ok with building the lower end, then changing things down the line. I just don't want the blower to be one of the things I have to change. I know that if I go crazy I'll have to upgrade clutch, rear end, etc, but I figure if I go this route now I can do that all later AS I want to have the blower use more boost. If I am not making myself clear, let me know.
thanks in advance,
Doc

• Sponsors (?)

it may be more economical in the long run to get a built short block. Livernois makes a great 298 stroker. i have my eyes set on a FRPP aluminator when the time comes myself, bc i may be able to get a good price on it. i want to stay with the stock displacement and bore so i can use my stock heads. i want to keep my GT at around 550 rwhp for the street.

Maybe I don't get it but would'nt it be cheaper just to change the rods and pistons in the stock block? I thought our blocks could take quite a bit of hp, up to about 800 or so and that the rods were the weak link?

The rods are the weak link, then the pistons. The stock block is great. When doing rods and pistons the engine has to be torn down, cleaned and the cylinders honed. I saw a guy post this response on another forum: why not spend a little more money on a stroker crank, 8 bolt flywheel, end up with a nice displacement increase along with that balanced forged crank. I doesn't cost that much more and it will handle whatever you throw at it with the big KB compressor.

The Aluminator is what they use in Formula-D Drifting for the Mustangs. That's nothing but high boost high revs throttle stabbing magic and they seem to take the abuse just fine. Sounds like a winner to me.

We ran 22 lbs of boost last season (2008). Whole car is being rebuilt presently...not sure if we are increasing boost...know we can get 27 lbs out the single 76mm turbo. Use a built 302 stroker block.

So much depends of where you want to end up with the car??????

I have to agree with Steve on this one.... it totally depends on what you want from your car. I am currently running 534 rwhp out of the Stage 2 kit on 10 pounds of boost. I am going to rebuild the motor with a stroker kit, ported and flowed heads and a stage 3 blower cam from COMP. Running the 19 pound pully will net me 15 pounds of boost (I will explain that if you want me to), 80 pound injectors, fuel system and tune. This has historically netted 725-775 rwhp with the 2.6L Kenne Bell kit. ST Motorsports also sell a sheetmetal intake to replace that 1000 cfm stock kit. The point is.... have you DRIVEN an S197 with over 500 rwhp? If your car is a daily driver.... well, you don't really need more than that.

I have not driven a car like that. The most brutal car I have driven was a friends cobra r. It made my 06 look like a station wagon. Here is my issue: I want to keep my present car. I had thought of putting on a big blower that would allow me to build the engine later. The car has 21 k on it now. I had thought of sending out the short block, having it build then reinstalling it myself. I am now just getting sick of all the choices. I am also wondering what I want to put my money into, for example my truck or buying a boat. I may just go with the kb that will fit on my car.
For a daily driver, you are all probably correct, this may just be the best choice for me. I do not want to end up three years from now buying another blower because I made the wrong choice. I have not put a cold air intake on this car because I just want to bite the bullet once and go with a super charger, I didn't want to waste the money. How many of you have daily drivers with big horse power.
Thanks all,
Doc