BLOWN 5.0 FOX BUILD THREAD

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATE....CAR HAS BEEN UNDER A CAR COVER FOR JUST OVER A YEAR NOW UNTOUCHED....I BROUGHT IT OUT TO GIVE IT A FRESH RINSE. STILL LOOKS GOOD.
STILL IN THE PROCESS OF APPLYING FOR VARIENCES ETC BUILDING A USEABLE GARAGE WITH LIFT THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO COMPLETE THE FUEL SYSTEM AND OTHER MISC ODDS AND ENDS (STILL IN STORAGE AT MY PARENTS HOUSE ) . I WILL ATTACH A FEW PICS TO KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE- STAY TUNED

26776_394439070808_632060808_4945777_1785710_n.jpg

Update:

My arms are in the air...I give up!!

I have realized my life has come to a point where I have zero time for project cars. I have decided to sell as is. The car still needs to be gone through and misc items finished. Vac lines/fuel lines/coolant hoses etc. I wish I had the time to complete it as it will be rewarding to see how she ends up.
Regardless:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988...amp;pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item335f5fbf5c

Wouldnt it be worth your time more if you just paid someone, heck even had a stangnet buddy donate a day to you to not see this go away. I am sure one days work for someone who is capable is worth if for you to keep it, as I am sure you yourself have several days tied up into it...

I am more than capable, I work for Lexus , have master certification , and work on $25k motors on a daily basis. This is what consumes my time and makes me not want to wrench after work Fortunately , its a profitable career. Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion the car deserves a better home. I hope I find the right buyer who knows what this thing is capable of and can handle it.

I hate to see it go, man. I'm surprised. I remember when I did those brackets for you and was looking forward to seeing it running eventually. It all looks great in the pictures!

Thanks Dave, Im sure someday I will look back and wish I kept her, but hopefully by then Ford will come out with a retro-fox body!!! In all seriousness, I wish circumstances were different, but life happens. Im at a point in my life that I can accept it as inevitable. I would much rather see this car finished and enjoyed than kept in storage waiting for completion.

Hi All,
I picked up this car off of "Blown 5.0 Fox" and I’m going to continue this build thread as best I can.

Currently I’ve owned this car for about 2 weeks and in this time I’ve worked on it almost every day. Below is a summary of progress with pics:

After getting the car home, the next day I gave the car a look over to see what has to be done and what order I should approach it. After spending several hours looking over under and around the car I came up with a list of major items that need to be done and addressed:
- Fuel Lines need to be installed
- Brake lines need to be re-done
- Electrical needs to be retraced & cleaned-up along with line labeling
- Vacuum lines need to be installed
- Coolant lines need to be installed
- Every bolt/nut needs to be re-check

Below is a pic of the inner driver side fender. Someone must of left it during some phase of Blown 5.0’s project. But as you can see wiring definitely need cleanup.

IMG00012-20101003-1524.jpg

The next day after reviewing the rest of the car I turned my attention towards the engine itself. I decided to give it a “leak down test”

IMG00015-20101005-1741.jpg

IMG00013-20101004-2047.jpg

After running thru the test I found the leakage was constant at 15% on 7 of the 8 cylinders with number 8 showing a 20% higher loss. In this case you could hear the air escaping thru the intake itself which told me two things one the valve definitely wasn’t sealing and two the engine needs a rebuild.
The next day I I stripped down the engine and check the tolerances and condition of all components. The lower assembly looked good and after doing a plastigauge test confirmed just that.

IMG00022-20101006-1843.jpg

The heads where a different story…After looking at the carbon foul on the intake runner of the one I decided to look at another which gave me similar results. At this point I decided to strip the heads down and redo everything.

IMG00024-20101006-1914.jpg

After cleaning & reseating the valves I gave the heads a wash down followed by assembly. Once assembly was done (didn’t take a pic of how clean these heads are), It was onto engine assembly!

IMG00016-20101005-1741.jpg

One thing I did notice during the leak down test that need to be addressed during assembly was the pushrod guide plates where way out of alignment which put the roller rockers way out of alignment. After initial calibration of pushrod and roller rockers the engine went together smoothly.
The following day the engine went back into the car!

IMG00032-20101013-2005.jpg

After I put the engine in I decided to put the supercharger back into place (just to see it). One thing I noticed was how tight the fit was. The supercharger was about 1/8” from the brake booster and how high the supercharger stood over the fender.
After seeing all this and noticing during the inspection day that the hood was offset forward by ~1/2” I decided to put the stock hood back on the car and properly align it. After doing so I tried to close the hood; obviously to my assumptions it wasn’t going to close. So I got into the engine bay since there was enough room as the radiator isn’t in the car to see where it was conflicting when the hood was closed. The confliction point was one of the hood support braces and the supercharger pulley. In conjunction with this pulley conflict with proper alignment and the supercharge to the brake booster issue I’m going to need to get an aftermarket hood as there is no way to get this under stock one.
I’m not sure what aftermarket hood to buy, can you guys provide some suggestions that will match this car? I started looking at the cobra r hood since it seems to fit the stalker front bumper and cobra back wing & gfx, but I’m not sure.
I’m quite a bit further than where I’m leaving off for now; I will post some more next week.

Hey John, nice to see that this thread will continue and we'll get to follow the car along its build. Looks like you've been busy...for both better and worse ;)

I'm a big fan of the Cobra R hood, and as you stated I think it looks great along w/the Stalker bumper cover. It would definitely look good on your car.