blown v6 vs. stock srt4, will i win?

mustangmat99

Jan 30, 2004
a freind of mine i work with and me are heading to the track friday to race, its his bone stock srt4 vs. my '00 v6 procharged stang, i have a few other things on it, i bought it as is from a guy who gave me the dyno sheet, i have 287 rwhp with 290lbs torque, i dont have that right now, theres a few things off with the car, but stock the srt4 has 230hp with 250lbs torque, i did my research, im bout 500 lbs heavier, car wise...so what yall think? just by the numbers do i have a good chance? i know it really boils down to shifting and the driver, u can have 400hp and lose to a ricer if u cant drive, just need some pre race opinions, thanx

• Sponsors (?)

98StangRidah said:
Wow, Water methanol injection, that sounds cool.

38stang, can you explain me what that's for and stuff?

BTW, mustangmat99 just smoke him

Well theres to types of water methanol injection. Theres injecting it across the intercooler or injecting it throw the throttle body.
By spraying it across the intercooler your just cooling the air temp. more than what you would get with just using an intercooler.
By spraying it throw the throttle body you get the added cooling and a bump in octane. But if you add to much methanol you will go dangerously lean because methanol cares its own oxygen. So you can’t get greedy with it and depending on the amount of methanol you us you will need to lean or richen the amount of gasoline you us.

I am spraying it across the intercooler right now. I saw .1 off of my 1/4 mile times. Better results are made spraying it throw the throttle body in the area of 80hp.
I will probable be going to the snow performance injection kit (sprays in the throttle body) in the summer after I get some founds back from buying a 4.2L forged short block from www.rpm-mustangs.com which should be in this week or next week.

lol, amazing i make a post and EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT SOMEONE ELSES CAR! no harm no foul though, yea i think im alright with the driving, im no dale jr. or anything, but im almost positive im better at shifting then he is, hes only had it maybe 2 months, he still misses gears all the time, well best of luck to me! but i might have to bow out, NOT SCARED, but my throwout bearings has been going out, and its just making worse and worse noise, im afraid to push it

Dude don't be making excuses before you go.

Every 100 lbs is like losing 10 hp (very roughly), so nuberwise you and the srt are pretty close if your at that dyno spec right now. Your both relying on boost, but you have more torque, so if you get a better 60' you should ride ahead of him all the way.

Should be very close and very dependant on launch and driver. Try launching at different RPMs before you guys square off, find the one that puts you in the powerband quickest with the most minmimal wheelspin / bog. If your running street tires, DON'T do a burn-out. Your just wasting tread, go around the burnout boxes (if they are hosed down). I always punch it on the 2nd yellow light (or drop the clutch), just try to avoid red-lighting. Shoot for .500 reaction times (perfect) and thats the best you can do.

Other than that I can't really help or give you any better advice. This is a driver's race using two different methods to achieve the the same results (FWD vs RWD, light vs heavier, v6 against i4). Good luck and let us know.

11's? HAHAHA, i think you read wrong, no stock srt4 ran 11's, the best i read is a 13.8, none the less..im not making any excuses, but racing a 16 yr old coworker or messing up my car..hmm..which do i pick? ill gonna run um, i think ill be alright, the weather is looking bad though, we might get rained out, but its more or less a reason not to rather an excuse, i have no scare in my mind that i cant beat him, if i lose i lose, everyone does..but i DOUBT seriously a stock srt4 ran 11's

see thats more like it, someone whos read correctly, a freind of mine has a slightly mod'ed gt, he gets most his wins cause his 4.10's, and he says his best run was a 13.8 and thats closer to what the srt can run, i can beat a stock gt everyday of the week, so if the weather holds up, we'll see

38stang said:
Well theres to types of water methanol injection. Theres injecting it across the intercooler or injecting it throw the throttle body.
By spraying it across the intercooler your just cooling the air temp. more than what you would get with just using an intercooler.
By spraying it throw the throttle body you get the added cooling and a bump in octane. But if you add to much methanol you will go dangerously lean because methanol cares its own oxygen. So you can’t get greedy with it and depending on the amount of methanol you us you will need to lean or richen the amount of gasoline you us.

I am spraying it across the intercooler right now. I saw .1 off of my 1/4 mile times. Better results are made spraying it throw the throttle body in the area of 80hp.
I will probable be going to the snow performance injection kit (sprays in the throttle body) in the summer after I get some founds back from buying a 4.2L forged short block from www.rpm-mustangs.com which should be in this week or next week.

:stupid:
what i am doing is running straight chilled water instead of mixing with methanol on the snow performance kit so it does not affect my A/F or my tune.

I say you should smoke him all the way. I think Dodge's claims for the SRT-4's 0-60 and quarter mile times are completely bogus. Say what you want, and I expect you won't believe me, but I ran an SRT-4 once. I pulled it by about a car length off the line and it spent the rest of the 1/8 mile trying to run me down. If the car was half as fast as Dodge claims, it would have packed my lunch. I really don't see you having any kind of a problem with your race at all.

well for his sake i hope it was sarcasm too, i thought the same, just went the other way with it...and yea, stock srt4's can run high 13's, but the guy who is driving it wont ever hit that, hes 16, and only had it bout 2 months, he doesnt know how to get it up that fast yet, his shifting isnt perfect..but unfornuately guys, it looks to be raining all weekend...i probably wont get a chance

First: Sarcasm is definately wasted on you guys. Obviously stock Neon's don't run 11's.

Second:

SwiftStang said:
the SRT4 should beat you especially teh 04 with the limited slip they can hit high 13s stock

I guess you missed this part...

mustangmat99 said:
i have 287 rwhp with 290lbs torque

...not to mention that he said that the kid has only had the car for 2 months and is also only 16.

Third:

Mean03V6 said:
I say you should smoke him all the way. I think Dodge's claims for the SRT-4's 0-60 and quarter mile times are completely bogus. Say what you want, and I expect you won't believe me, but I ran an SRT-4 once. I pulled it by about a car length off the line and it spent the rest of the 1/8 mile trying to run me down. If the car was half as fast as Dodge claims, it would have packed my lunch. I really don't see you having any kind of a problem with your race at all.

I certainly don't doubt that this truly happened as anything can happen with inexperienced driver's or even just random mistakes of good drivers, but there is nearly infinite information proving that SRT-4's are capable of high 13's in stock form. Now, in the case of this new driver, he would probably only be able to pull mid-14's knowing that the conditions likely will not be ideal based on probability and he will not be the kind of driver that pulls bone-stock 13's.

So, I say that the V6 wins for two reasons:

1) Given equal drivers, the Procharged V6 is faster. Mach 1's run low 13's with dyno numbers less than that, so you should certainly be faster than high 13's.

2) Your friend almost certainly will not run high 13's, anyway.

Good Luck.