blue smoke after revving high/racing

• Sponsors (?)

Most likely you your engine is expeirenceing blow by. Oil from the crankcase is probbly getting by your piston rings and getting into your combustion chamber, cause the oil to burn off cause blue smoke.

I'd say its your cylinder rings too. Don't worry about it if it's not blowing smoke all the time. It's not like it's a new engine or anything, when you beat on it, it's bound to have some blow by. As long as it's still running ok, you're fine.

17yrOldStanger said:
damn, im experiencing the EXACT same thing. Hey stangman, i too am in the greatest county of all, Stafford!
canary yellow stang see em 24/7 here what is your name? good to meet some one from the same place as me. now when i get my stang back on the road soon you will know what i have under the hood. :nonono:

FiveOhhStang said:
What wieght Oil are you using? I went from 10-40 to 20-50 & Solved the problem for the most part. I am now using Mobil 1 15-50 Synthetic. Only Praises, This is really good oil!

I always put 10-40 in... but when my valve cover gaskets were leaking (now replaced) I put in 20-50 to slow the leak... so now I have a mixture of 10-40 and 20-50.. i would say 80% is 10-40....

it's common for mustangs to burn a little oil. from what I understand, they have weak oil rings, but strong compression rings. I've been going through a quart every few hundred miles, yet the car screams still with 186k on the clock.

You might have some older oil or even new oil in the crankcase.The beating as you call it is heating up the oil more then usual and thinning it out.So then it slips past your kinda worn rings.Also metal shrinks when it gets hot also(pistons).If it were the valve stem seals it should do it all the time.Older oil loses its viscosity as it gets old and the detergents added also deminish.

With the engine running see if you get any blow-by out of the filler cap(cap off of course). Also look under the cap (after the engine is at operating temp) and see if there is any oil comtamination milky color or greyish color. That narrow down rings or may be a leaky head gasket. Obviously if it was a head gasket the smoke would be on the white side. Hope it helps.