Blueish smoke

Gabebaca1

Aug 15, 2018
California
I'm lost again so I was hoping you guys can help me out like always.

So my 1987 5.0 has blueish smoke coming out the exhaust. It does have a turbo so I checked the oil to turbo line and they are good. Could it be my catch can is clogged so to much oil is going into the turbo? I'm lost on this one... I also did just find out my oil pan gasket is bad... dripping a little bit of oil but not a lot. Could that also be a factor of the smoke even though the smoke it coming from exhaust? I checked my oil and there is not coolant in the pan.

• Sponsors (?)

Blue Smoke out the tailpipe means oil is getting in the combustion chamber (between the piston and head) or is in the exhaust port (loose valve guides). It is probably time for a leak down and compression test. Your turbo may be leaking oil at the shaft, and your Positive Crankcase Ventilation system may be overwhelmed and letting oil into the intake. But if the PCV is overwhelmed, you probably have too much pressure in the crankcase from piston blow by.
Please YouTube compression test or check and leak down test. The tools are often rentable or free to check out from the FLAPS, like Advance Auto.

Reactions: 1 user
Blue Smoke out the tailpipe means oil is getting in the combustion chamber (between the piston and head) or is in the exhaust port (loose valve guides). It is probably time for a leak down and compression test. Your turbo may be leaking oil at the shaft, and your Positive Crankcase Ventilation system may be overwhelmed and letting oil into the intake. But if the PCV is overwhelmed, you probably have too much pressure in the crankcase from piston blow by.
Please YouTube compression test or check and leak down test. The tools are often rentable or free to check out from the FLAPS, like Advance Auto.
Thanks I'll give it a try

I'll give those test a try. I just started it and drove it easy and I got no more smoke! Maybe it was just condensation I was seeing? Because when it would smoke it was very light and wasnt a lot of smoke. Just noticeable. I'm still going to run those tests though