BMR Control Arm Noise - e-Brake Cable?

krang00

Founding Member
Oct 29, 2002
Allentown, PA
I have a set of BMR rear lower control arms (spherical at one end and poly on the other) and have recently noticed a hollow noise when going over bumps at a low speed (mainly the right side). I also have their adjustable rear panhard bar with Roush lowering springs. Anyway, I double-checked every bolt tonight and everything is tight.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the trunk area, but i don't have anything in there so it's probably reverberating from somewhere else. I think it's the e-brake cable when/if it hits against the control arm. Is there somewhere I can tie-wrap it to or do you have any suggestions to keep it from hitting the arm? It's currently resting against the arm. I was thinking about taking some duct tape and wraping it around the area of the cable (to try and minimize potential noise).

Anyone else have the BMR (or other aftermarket) control arms and notice a similiar noise?

• Sponsors (?)

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=662084

Check the trunk shocks again as well (see thread above). There is nothing wrong with isolating a potential noise with backyard engineering until you know that is the issue.

I changed my rear differential fluid over the weekend. When I reinstalled the housing cover, I did not get the right side line bracket back on at the correct angle at first. With the first test drive, it sounded like the axel was going to implode. Noise travels and can be a bear to track down to the real cause.

Good Luck.

I have a set of BMR rear lower control arms (spherical at one end and poly on the other) and have recently noticed a hollow noise when going over bumps at a low speed (mainly the right side). I also have their adjustable rear panhard bar with Roush lowering springs. Anyway, I double-checked every bolt tonight and everything is tight.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the trunk area, but i don't have anything in there so it's probably reverberating from somewhere else. I think it's the e-brake cable when/if it hits against the control arm. Is there somewhere I can tie-wrap it to or do you have any suggestions to keep it from hitting the arm? It's currently resting against the arm. I was thinking about taking some duct tape and wraping it around the area of the cable (to try and minimize potential noise).

Anyone else have the BMR (or other aftermarket) control arms and notice a similiar noise?

Check the urethane bushings in the LCAs. I have the exact same arms and have gone through 2 sets of bushings. Others have experienced the same issue with the bushings.

The bushings may look fine when installed. Uninstall the urethane ends from the bracket and check for cracks through the length of the bushing. These cracks allow the sleeve of the bolt to come in contact with the outer housing making the noise.

Check the urethane bushings in the LCAs. I have the exact same arms and have gone through 2 sets of bushings. Others have experienced the same issue with the bushings.

The bushings may look fine when installed. Uninstall the urethane ends from the bracket and check for cracks through the length of the bushing. These cracks allow the sleeve of the bolt to come in contact with the outer housing making the noise.

Dwain! :hail2: Where ya' been? (PM me).... Good point. Real quick? on the BMR LCAs - Don't they use Energy Suspension bushings? I would find it hard to believe this is occurring unless there have been some real bad batches "cooked", they have been hanging around the shelf for 5 years or the Stang in question has been driven with such lateral load that "poly bind" ripped the bushings (well, improper torque on the bolts and continual slop grinding them could do it as well). :D Your thoughts?