Body and paints guys need some advice!

PeteyAce

Jul 2, 2004
Don't got much money for mods but i have gt ground effects lying around and iching to put them on, by next year the car will be painted and i wanna do as much body work as i can learn and save as much money as i can. but for now i want to know before i put on the ground effects, side skirts, fender exten., eventually cobra bumper, what would be the best approach for prepping the body? would i just sand down what the skirts would cover and throw some primer on and attach the skirts? or just throw on the skirts etc. and for a cobra bumper what kind of prepping for the lower fender that it covers? btw the car is an 89 lx hatch

• Sponsors (?)

For prepping the ground effects. Sand it to 400. Use Bulldog adhesion promoter on all your plastic pieces. Before primer. I'll will make the paint stick like glue.

You will have to rivet straps under the ground effects, front fender, and rear fender. The stock GT ground effects gets clipped into metal staps to hold them on.

You could order the straps on 50resto.com I believe.

You will probably have to head to the junkyard to get the right measurments before you start riveting.

I took my ground effects off and my straps where all rotted. So I just bought LX mouldings and Saleen ground effects that use double sided 3M tape to install. I'll be using Cobra fender extensions and Cobra bumper so my mouldings will be different but I dont care.

Go to the auto paint store and get rust remover. As long as the rust isnt rotted through you should be good. Just sand the heck out of to bare metal depending on how bad it is. Spray the rust remover. The good stuff is green in color. Let sit for an hour or so. Then prime. I would try to base coat it to seal the primer you shouldnt have to worry about clear coat cause nobody is going to see it.

If you have to use "bondo" buy Rage they sell it at NAPA. I've seen chip Foose using it on his show. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.