Body Work and Paint Question

65 Fasbak

Dec 7, 2011
I'm in the process of getting my car ready for the body and paint guy. I want to do as much of the body work myself as possible so that the painter only has to "perfect" it prior to paint.

I replaced one of the quarter panels, and put a patch panel on the lower section of the other. There's several other places that will need to be glassed or bondoed before paint. My first question is whether I should use fiberglass or bondo on the spotweld joints thta were leaded in the old days? Mine's a fastback so I'm talking about where the roof is spotwelded on.

Second question is skould I do the bondo or glass work before I epoxy prime or should I do it over the epoxy primer? I hear conflicting stories on this so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

• Sponsors (?)

I like to epoxy first because it can run into seams that the filler will not reach! For the big lap seam I would ask at a local jobber or even the shop that is going to do the paint work for you. Not many places use lead anymore, plenty of spreadable products exist to do the same task.

I'm in the process of getting my car ready for the body and paint guy. I want to do as much of the body work myself as possible so that the painter only has to "perfect" it prior to paint.

I replaced one of the quarter panels, and put a patch panel on the lower section of the other. There's several other places that will need to be glassed or bondoed before paint. My first question is whether I should use fiberglass or bondo on the spotweld joints thta were leaded in the old days? Mine's a fastback so I'm talking about where the roof is spotwelded on.

Second question is skould I do the bondo or glass work before I epoxy prime or should I do it over the epoxy primer? I hear conflicting stories on this so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hi,
I've had great success with a product called "All Metal". It's a spreadable two part product that hardeneds to a very hard machinable finish. I've used this on any number of spot welds and feathering in lap joints. I like to first shoot bare metal with either an E-coat or the ever popular epoxy primer to seal the bare metal before applying fillers. Although, if the humidity is low, then applying the filler first has worked fine, especially this type filler. I fill the regular "bondo" type fillers tend to absorb moisture. The key is to avoid any moisture between the layers. In the following pics, I replaced a floor in a vintage scoot. The joint between the old and new is a flanged over-laping joint that has been welded , e-coated, then, a first coat of All Metal is applied.

Attachments

• All Metal filler.jpg
    All Metal filler.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2714.JPG
    IMG_2714.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 136
  • begin the leveling phase.JPG
    begin the leveling phase.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 120