Body work is done. Like a Phoenix, my car has risen from the ashes (modem burner)

jerry S

Sep 3, 2003
52.22N 5.12E
Let's recap. Last year, I slipped off an overpass and went down an embankment across traffic and whacked a guardrail.

These are the pics of the car after the accident.

Door and rear quarter

14paneldoor.jpg

rear quarter

rear14.jpg

Rear of the car

Rear.jpg

What you don't see is that the frame rail was bent and had to be replaced, the wheel well on the rear of the car (passenger side) was destroyed, the driveshaft was bent, the transmission was ruined, the rear axle housing was cracked, my global west L11cat5 leaf springs costing about $1k were wrecked, my newly installed exhaust system and headers were now junk, and lots of other bad things.

Ok. On to the repair. First was the quarter panel repair. We found that the car had been in a previous accident and the PO had simply welded a patch panel over the quarter panel. The rust festered over many years.

View attachment 346004

Then when the carpet came off, we found that I could do Fred Flintstone braking

View attachment 346006

I ordered a new quarter panel, full length floor pan, front fender, and two new doors from the US. the original doors were too rusted to be salvaged.

Here is the floor pan that went in.
New1piecefloor.jpg

Here is the new quarter on

replacementqtr.jpg

New floor installed along with new toe boards

rearwindowinteriorshot.jpg

Here is the finished product. this is a shot from the rear

resizedrearqrt.jpg

and a shot from the front

resizedfront.jpg

I have a new interior kit to install, the engine has been redone and the tranny was rebuilt. The tranny will be sweet. I got a low friction six pinion steel front planetary and a low friction steel rear planetary. All thrust washers have been replaced with needle bearings. New wide bands are in as well as an R servo.

I got a new 2.5 stainless steel magnaflow exhaust and new long tube headers from Ed at Ford Powertrain. I got a new currie 9 inch rear with a new Detroit Locker, 3.70 gears, and new 31 spline axles. I sent the holley 4bbl to Jet Performance for a stage 3 rebuild. I sent my RPM Performers to FPS in Anaheim to be ported. I got new konis and new global west L11.cat5 springs. I swapped out the cam for a hot, custom grind roller cam using those really spendy Comp Cams roller lifters, had a Pete Jackson gear drive installed, and much, much more. Oh yeah, I have a year one instrument panel and 6 new Autometer gauges and lots of carbon fiber to install in place of the wood grain. Pics of the finished product will be forthcoming. I could have bought a new Z06 for what I have spent on this old horse but this pony has a special place in my heart so I am paying the veterinarian's bills, no matter how high.

Attachments

• 14paneldoor.jpg
    14paneldoor.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 77
  • rear14.jpg
    rear14.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 86
  • New1piecefloor.jpg
    New1piecefloor.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 79
  • replacementqtr.jpg
    replacementqtr.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 100
  • rearwindowinteriorshot.jpg
    rearwindowinteriorshot.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 112
  • resizedrearqrt.jpg
    resizedrearqrt.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 87
  • resizedfront.jpg
    resizedfront.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Sponsors (?)

Looking good!!

I feel your pain. I've been without my car for about 9 months now while the bodyshop has been working on it (double quarter replacement, both rockers, new fenders, new trunk, new front/rear valences, new hood...). It's a long and sometimes frustrating thing, but when they come out they're beautiful!

Jerry, it looks great. I like the grabber blue. I can only imagine the costs involved with getting all that stuff to Europe. The accident was a blessing in disguise, for the car at least, given all the rust issues. Black out that pinch weld and keep posting finishing shots.

Looks awesome Jerry! How great will it be to know that your floor boards under the carpet look as good as the finish on the body!!! I'm scared to know what mine look like. Keep posting pics as the project progresses. Love to see the Year One gauge cluster, I'm planning on the same setup.

Make those side scoops functional while you are at it man :)

The car looks great. I'm glad you decided to fix it up. It looks absolutely beautiful now. Good luck with the rest of the reassembly and keep the progess pics comming :)

Looks nice (again) Jerry!

The first photos show a banner from "Automagic" Lisse, the Netherlands. Are you Dutch or do you live in the Netherlands? I am, hence my curiousity.

You might have been able to buy a Z06, but a Z06 is not a piece of Rollin' Art like your Stang will be :)

Tha Stang that I am rebuilding right now is from Holland, small world, specially when you live in Europe:p