boost and bypass valve?

fballplayya82

Apr 12, 2008
ok so i have a 02 gt w. a v-2 s trim and water to air intercooler making 10lbs, i rebuilt my motor it is all stock except for mahl forged pistons and rings.i'm getting the car tuned and thinking about upping the boost to 12lbs, do you think my motor can handle the extra boost and what size pully do i need?

my second question is i heard a vortech minirace valve today and i love it. does it just bolt right into the place of the stock bypass valve and does the car get tuned differently, im not do familiar with how this work do i need to recirulate the air? basicly i'm asking what is the best way to set it up?

• Sponsors (?)

The rods are the weak part in your motor as all 4.6 2v's. I would say you are still playing with fire if you are planning to crank the boost up with those stock rods. You would have to recirculate the air back into the intake tube of the blower. You can vent it to the atmosphere if you have a blow through setup instead of a draw thru.

+1 to tropic

you can see my thread about the mini race vs the stock bosch bypass valve. I imagine you have a draw-thru setup as it sets, and would really be fine with the bosch. The mini race needs a flange welded on the discharge pipe in order to installed, which is def. not hard, just saying it won't bolt right in.

Perhaps the mini race you heard was on a blow-thru setup and being used as a blow-off valve, that's where the make the awesome swhooshy-noises :)

The rods are the weak point in the 4.6. They are made of powdered metal. I wouldnt turn up the boost cause then you will ruin the fancy pistons when you break all the rods. Take it back apart and put at least forged rods in it, a forged crank isn't that much more either.