Boost, With Or Without Ethanol?

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, Wa
In my area most gas stations sell 92 Octane with "up to" 10% Ethanol. There there are a few gas stations that are selling Ethanol FREE 92 octane but the price is nearly a dollar more per gallon. Worth it? The places selling them are Chevron and Conoco FYI

• Sponsors (?)

In my area most gas stations sell 92 Octane with "up to" 10% Ethanol. There there are a few gas stations that are selling Ethanol FREE 92 octane but the price is nearly a dollar more per gallon. Worth it? The places selling them are Chevron and Conoco FYI

In my unsolicited opinion (provided that you can even see it) ..There is no octane benefit to the non ethanol fuel.
The reason most stations cite as a benefit to the straight gas is that the ethanol in the fuel is a moisture attractant,..which in a cold climate, or high humidity environment could be a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Just run the cheaper fuel. If you want octane help use a water/meth system and mix in 20-50% methanol....

Distilled water and denatured alcohol make a great 50/50 mix as well for octane boost.

Methonal and alcohol have an octane rating of around 105.

Or you can mix up the super secret formula.

40-50%water 40%alcohol 10-20%toluene

Toluene has an octane rating of 118 but is more expensive than denatured alcohol.

Why are we avoiding ethanol? From a performance perspective
There's more btu's (energy) in a gallon of straight gas than in a blended one, meaning more power (and better fuel economy), though with the 10% blend it's trivial (e85 is a whole other story and has some benefits that may or may not outweigh the downsides). Also, as Mike said, there's a longevity issue with the blended stuff if it sits for too long.

I say tune it for the blend since its the more common nationally, meaning if you ever take the thing on a trip you won't have to worry about finding non blended fuel (non existent around here for example).

I buy the non ethanol gas for my small engines. I burned up a chain saw with regular gas "with up to 10% ethanol" The small engine guy told me to get the pure gas for anything that was 2 stroke. Now, I do that, and I use it for anything smaller then a car (Lawnmowers, etc..) :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user