boosted stock engine

95stangGT

Founding Member
Jan 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Anyone here running boost on a stock engine? My only mods for now will be MAC 1 3/4 long tubes, MAC prochamber, and flowmaster cat back. I figure bang for the buck a used s-trim or something will be alot cheaper than H/C/I. Figuring if I run 36 or 42 pound injectors and a bigger calibrated mass air I could ditch the FMU. So how would daily driving be affected? How much psi would I also be able to run safely after a dyno tune and what kinda #s could I expect at the wheels.

Only thing really hindering me is power at the lower levels in which I think H/C/I would give me more power under the curve. So I know many of you will say go with a kenne bell. LOL :p But they alot more money even for a used one and its hard to find a 2200 one for our years. I feel the 1500 will be ok for now but once I build the bottom end next winter, I will out grow it.

Lastly, how will a centrifugal supercharger work on an auto x car? The cars not gonna be a pure drag car or auto x car but a nice rounded street machine. Any input to any of this would be such a big help becuase this is alot of money to be dishing out and I wanna do it right the first time. lol :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

95stangGT said:
So how would daily driving be affected? How much psi would I also be able to run safely after a dyno tune and what kinda #s could I expect at the wheels.

Daily driving wont be effected until you mash down on the gas...your MPG will prob go down but if anyone here is worried about MPG and are building a stang then just do us a favor and go sell it and get a honda.

You could prob run around 10 PSI on stock components and not have to worry about much as long as you have a safe tune. You could prob expect a 80-90 HP gain running around 10 PSI, you would be up around 300-315 RWPH range.

Striped5.0 said:
Daily driving wont be effected until you mash down on the gas...your MPG will prob go down but if anyone here is worried about MPG and are building a stang then just do us a favor and go sell it and get a honda.

You could prob run around 10 PSI on stock components and not have to worry about much as long as you have a safe tune. You could prob expect a 80-90 HP gain running around 10 PSI, you would be up around 300-315 RWPH range.

LOL, actually I'm rocking a 89 honda accord right now :banana:
Its not that I'm worried about MPG but I don't wanna be running into tuning issues, idle problems, surging, detonation, and the likes. I wanna be able to crank her over and drive from point A to point B but getting there alot faster. lol

i wouldn't use a blower on auto cross...i would use a turbo much more tq....also mpg only go down if you stay on it all day....i thinkn RC managed 390rwhp through an auto with 30lb injectors....but i was runing lean. 10psi is usealy safe but 8 is probly the best if you dont want to put a new head gasket in anytime soon

I am not a fan of turbos on autocross cars. Drift cars maybe, but not autocross. the way the power ramps up, they are much more difficult to get on while cornering. Mustangs do not corner well to begin with so having to worry about boost hitting while you are powering out of a corner is not going to help much. If you want to autocross in a mustang it is probably better to invest in brakes and suspension goodies. But if you are dead set on power parts, a kennebelle with its smooth power curve will be much more reliable when powering out of a corner. I run a vortec and find it perfect for street, strip and daily driving. its power is fairly smooth so as not to hinder cornering but it has a large top end, to aide in drag racing. On the street any forced induction is fun. Also, 315 whp does not usually need 42# injectors 30# with an fmu or 36# without should be just fine. Only if you are going to go with HCI are 42 necesary.