Boosted's Project For The Day Thread

Tell you what Allen, I'm willing to give a helping hand here, just send me all of that stupid turbo stuff. That'll help clean up that engine bay!

So that amount of work is "not really that big of a deal" huh? You make me sick. I would feel like Conan the Barbarian after doing all that. I'd strip my shirt off, beat my chest and be yelling, "WENCH! Bring me meat and beer!".

But maybe you did that, so sorry if I'm impugning you.:eek:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welp, I finally got over my disgust and tore down the turd-bo car. I found a couple head gaskets that while not popped, looked like they weren't sealed properly. This thing has been mysteriously losing coolant and has suddenly started overheating ridiculously, so finally took it apart. I've never been happy with the setup and congestion in the engine bay with all of the piping, hoses, and wiring there above and beyond what came in it for on Ford. I'm bound and determined to clean it up. Possibly a wire tuck, at the bare minimum a clean slate do-over. I simply can't stand looking at it the way it was.
IMG_0540.JPG

Heck, the compressor housing is even oxidizing..ugh.
You can see how bad it is, even with the turbo piping and upper plenum removed. If I had power run to the shop so I could weld, I'd consider smoothing the bay. I may still end up doing that. The more I look at it, the more I want to change.

My number one shop hand helping out.
IMG_0562.JPG

Heads off. Waiting on parts. Might do some cleaning tomorrow. I really want to repaint the bay, but like I said, smooth? Tuck? I contemplate that, then think, k member?? How deep is the rabbit hole? We are already throwing away the distributor. May as well get funky, right?:shrug:

Torn down.. Ta da!
IMG_0572.JPG

Yeah, I know. Not really that big a deal, but I've been so put out by this thing I've been avoiding this for months, so I'm glad to have got the ball rolling again..

And if that's not busy enough, I swapped out the base GT steering wheel in my new car for a leather premium wheel today! I like it. Heck of a lot cheaper than the premium package!
IMG_0574.JPG

I think I'm gonna go vacuum it out..

Glad you are back at it Buddy :)

You and I share a problem- I have no power to my garage either :-(

Tell you what Allen, I'm willing to give a helping hand here, just send me all of that stupid turbo stuff. That'll help clean up that engine bay!

So that amount of work is "not really that big of a deal" huh? You make me sick. I would feel like Conan the Barbarian after doing all that. I'd strip my shirt off, beat my chest and be yelling, "WENCH! Bring me meat and beer!".

But maybe you did that, so sorry if I'm impugning you.:eek:

Lol, man.. I meant it's not a big deal compared to some of the other guys here with the sparkling hospital grade engine bays.. I was looking at Collin's car yesterday with great envy. He did a really nice job. Hopefully I can, too.

Glad you are back at it Buddy :)

Thanks man. You still interested in that intake?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
personally,, save for the strut towers, smoothing an engine bay is a giant waste of time...By the time you get all of that stuff back in there, especially if you intend to use the AC, the smoothing work on the front aprons disappear.

Only the most spartan engine compartments (which have equally spartan accessories) show off all of that shiny work.
In hindsight, I'd have never spent the time repainting the stupid bay over after the first "good enough" if I knew that this engine was gonna cover most of it up. The towers, the saddle, the rear pinchweld where brake lines run, and the firewall is all I'd mess with if I ever did another.

personally,, save for the strut towers, smoothing an engine bay is a giant waste of time...By the time you get all of that stuff back in there, especially if you intend to use the AC, the smoothing work on the front aprons disappear.

Only the most spartan engine compartments (which have equally spartan accessories) show off all of that shiny work.
In hindsight, I'd have never spent the time repainting the stupid bay over after the first "good enough" if I knew that this engine was gonna cover most of it up. The towers, the saddle, the rear pinchweld where brake lines run, and the firewall is all I'd mess with if I ever did another.

I appreciate that insight. The thing is, I'm actually using all of the large holes in the passenger side for piping, and access to clamps on piping.. so, smoothing it completely would be shooting myself in the foot.. I'm still seriously considering a 351 based engine as I have a good block on standby, but this run was supposed to be (initially) to repair the 302 and get back online. Maybe I'll save all of the beauty work for when the 302 finally comes out to retire.

How much power did you make with your turbo set up on the 302? Shouldnt you be able to come close to matching it with an N/A 408W, and be rid of all your turd-bo woes? I have seen several foxes with 351 based combos under the stock hood, hell just hop on Youtube and look at some. I think you will get that figured out easily. As far as the new wheel on the S550, surprised you didnt go with one of the Alcantara wheels?

Alright buddy, I have a potentially dumb question.
Running the carb style intake drilled for injectors,with an elbow in place of the plenum-will that only work on boosted cars?

I would think if you tried it with an na car you would lose a ridiculous amount of low end torque. There's a reason ford designed the stock intake with an upper that added 3 feet to the runner length. The little 302 isn't a torque monster.

How much power did you make with your turbo set up on the 302? Shouldnt you be able to come close to matching it with an N/A 408W, and be rid of all your turd-bo woes? I have seen several foxes with 351 based combos under the stock hood, hell just hop on Youtube and look at some. I think you will get that figured out easily. As far as the new wheel on the S550, surprised you didnt go with one of the Alcantara wheels?

It made 450/489 at the tire on 9-10 psi. I've debated buying a dart block to make more with more boost, or going with a windsor. We're going to give it one more shot on the 302, between head gasket problems resulting in overheating and tuning issues it hasn't been avreal success. I'm changing up a few thing that will hopefully fix it, and will go from there. A 351 stroker may still happen, but if it does, it'll be for waaay more than 450 whp.

@95BlueStallion Oh, the alcantra steering wheel is suede, and I get my hands really grimey at work. Even using pumice gojo they still aren't perfectly clean and grease free. No suede steering wheels for me.

It made 450/489 at the tire on 9-10 psi. I've debated buying a dart block to make more with more boost, or going with a windsor. We're going to give it one more shot on the 302, between head gasket problems resulting in overheating and tuning issues it hasn't been avreal success. I'm changing up a few thing that will hopefully fix it, and will go from there. A 351 stroker may still happen, but if it does, it'll be for waaay more than 450 whp.
What ecu are you running? Wasn't this thing pro tuned?

It made 450/489 at the tire on 9-10 psi. I've debated buying a dart block to make more with more boost, or going with a windsor. We're going to give it one more shot on the 302, between head gasket problems resulting in overheating and tuning issues it hasn't been avreal success. I'm changing up a few thing that will hopefully fix it, and will go from there.
A 351 stroker may still happen, but if it does, it'll be for waaay more than 450 whp.

And it'll be just as problematic as putting 12 p.s.i. In a 5.0.
450 WHP is stupid power as it is,...No street tire, in almost any gear will hold that power. It has always been my question to all of the " going to a Dart" guys..

What's the point of more than what you currently have if all it results in is tire smoke? How does anybody know?
" Those tires smoke way more than they did when all he had was a measly 500 horsepower."
It'd be different if you were trying to set some silver state top speed thing or had a drag car that needed more power that could be applied to the needed speed via tires or distance,...but............Street car.

450 WHP is stupid power as it is,...No street tire, in almost any gear will hold that power. It has always been my question to all of the " going to a Dart" guys..

What's the point of more than what you currently have if all it results in is tire smoke? How does anybody know?
" Those tires smoke way more than they did when all he had was a measly 500 horsepower."
It'd be different if you were trying to set some silver state top speed thing or had a drag car that needed more power that could be applied to the needed speed via tires or distance,...but............Street car.

Google: Nitto NT01. They hold just fine.

And it's funny that you mention it, but the Silver State Classic has always been my end game goal.

I could definitely agree to the same end goal. Problem is that like in every race...there's always some guy w/ more money.

Yeah, but Silver State is like Texas Mile. Race the clock, race yourself. Have fun. Go fast. REALLY FAST.

There's nothing more fun than getting out on open road and just hauling ass.

Mike I would have tried to disagree with you on this a few years ago. Now...couldn't agree more.