Borla Stinger exhaust and sound laws in Illinois

Tiger2Lover

Apr 13, 2005
I own a 2001 Mustang Cobra and am going to be changing the stock exhaust to a Borla Stinger. My cats are stock and so is the H pipe. Two independent tests, Mustang Exhaust.com and Hot Rodding Magazine both agreed that an X pipe, whether it has cats or not, will only raise RWHP 1-2 maximum. Those numbers are ONLY for this model Cobra and NOT the rule of all Mustangs. Point is that I merely want to change the catback and would like some real feedback as to the reality of the police and how they handle Mustangs with aftermarket exhaust in the Chicago area and the North suburbs like Deerfield and Highland Park. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Just changing to an aftermarket exhaust isn't gonna change how the police react to you. Your car is already what it is. The worst case scenario is if you are messing around or launching it you may get their attention quicker. I have had numerous vehicles some with extremely loud exhaust and it doesnt really change anything, they don't usually like you either way.

In the Chicago suburbs it's hit and miss.

SOme places they will pull you over and say it is illegal to modify an exhaust system, and hand you a ticket. In this case keep the 50-state legal certificate. It is illegal to modify it to become louder than a certain decibal, cops obviously don't have the equipment to test this so they can go get bent.

Keep the info in your car, and then if they say tell it to the judge, tell them you tried to give the information to the officer, but he would not look at it. SOmetimes the judges will chew them out, and sometimes have them written up, reprimanded or even worse.

My thing is, if your car is just loud, it does not hurt anyone. Harley's blast by my house all the time obviously way over the decibal limit, but they don't get pulled over for it.

If you drive like a prick, yes, it will get their attention. But sometimes just being slightly aggressive (taking off from idle then getting on it up to the limit) will get them on you.

i have had flowmasters on everything i have owned. The only time i got a ticket was when i got nailed for doing a burnout when i was 17. They took notice then, but the ticket for the exhaust got thrown out. The actual rule is that you have to have mufflers and you may not have bypasses or holes in the exhaust. Straightpipes will get you a ticket, that should be the only problem