Bought an 04 Cobra last Thurs (pics)

I just have a Magnaflow catback, Billetflow 2.93 pulley with idlers, an SCT tune and the intake. That's it.

There were basically two things causing me to run lean on that graph...the tune and the FIPK. You can tune an FIPK and get normal A/F readings out of it...you just have to add fuel to the tune to compensate for the MAF rotation. I could have easily stuck with the FIPK. That thing makes great power and sounds awesome. But, I wasn't too crazy about adding more fuel to compensate for the MAF, the JLT RAI looks better IMO, and I could sell my FIPK to cover the costs of the RAI. It just made sense for me to go with JLT.

• Sponsors (?)

spree said:
I just have a Magnaflow catback, Billetflow 2.93 pulley with idlers, an SCT tune and the intake. That's it.

There were basically two things causing me to run lean on that graph...the tune and the FIPK. You can tune an FIPK and get normal A/F readings out of it...you just have to add fuel to the tune to compensate for the MAF rotation. I could have easily stuck with the FIPK. That thing makes great power and sounds awesome. But, I wasn't too crazy about adding more fuel to compensate for the MAF, the JLT RAI looks better IMO, and I could sell my FIPK to cover the costs of the RAI. It just made sense for me to go with JLT.

So there were absolutely no changes made between those two pulls outlined on the graphs posted above? Both dyno pulls were done on the same day, with the same tune, back-to-back with the ONLY change being a switch from the K&N to the JLT? So all this time that you were running trhe K&N your A/F ratio was in the high 13's & low 14's!?!?! Who tuned your car initially??? Was this a canned SCT tune or a custom tune? Sounds like whoever tuned your car when the 2.93 was installed is the culprit here, not the K&N.

I find your statement about not wanting to add fuel kind of funny. That's the whole purpose of tuning a car after you've added major modifications, to get the A/F level within a safe range. On very rare occasions you'll need to lean it out, but 9 times out of 10 you have to add quite a bit a fuel back in, especially with a pulley!

I'm still confused as to how you came to the conclusion the K&N made you that lean. It sounds to me as if your SCT tune was too lean to begin with and adding the JLT may have richened up the A/F.

How long, or how many drive cycles did you run the car on the dyno after installing the K&N so the ECM could re-adapt to the change?

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
So there were absolutely no changes made between those two pulls outlined on the graphs posted above? Both dyno pulls were done on the same day, with the same tune, back-to-back with the ONLY change being a switch from the K&N to the JLT? So all this time that you were running trhe K&N your A/F ratio was in the high 13's & low 14's!?!?! Who tuned your car initially??? Was this a canned SCT tune or a custom tune? Sounds like whoever tuned your car when the 2.93 was installed is the culprit here, not the K&N.

I find your statement about not wanting to add fuel kind of funny. That's the whole purpose of tuning a car after you've added major modifications, to get the A/F level within a safe range. On very rare occasions you'll need to lean it out, but 9 times out of 10 you have to add quite a bit a fuel back in, especially with a pulley!

The dyno pulls were not done on the same day. They were done about a week apart from each other. They were done in extremely similar weather conditions though and approximately at the same time in the morning. Yes, the intake was the only change.

Yeah, I know, the tune was way off. It wasn't a canned SCT tune. It was a custom tune. I got it mail order, and this was the first tune that I was sent. I had a few other tunes that were much better, but I didn't do a K&N vs. JLT comparison on those tunes just because renting out the dyno costs a lot and I didn't have time to do that.

Yes, I know you need to add fuel to the tune after getting a new pulley. What I mean to say though is that with a K&N, you have to add even more fuel (versus a JLT) because the MAF position leans out the car a bit more.

Uncle Meat said:
I'm still confused as to how you came to the conclusion the K&N made you that lean. It sounds to me as if your SCT tune was too lean to begin with and adding the JLT may have richened up the A/F.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Uncle Meat said:
Well, now that we've totally trashed SonicBlue2v03GT's post...

The bottom line is you can't go wrong with either the FIPK or the JLT. They both make great power when coupled with the proper tune.

U.M.

:rlaugh: yeah, you're right...my bad Sonic.

And yes, they're both excellent intake systems that make great power. I just like the JLT better :D

No worries guys about the thread. I have been posting on SN for a while now, and I have done more than my fair share of thread swoopage. Its all good :nice:

I actually have been debating K&N vs. JLT. Spree you know Beau, I am sure. He picked up 27 rwhp when he installed the JLT true CAI on his 01 N/A Cobra.

He thinks those are great. My reasoning is just the fact that I have used K&N products on my last three stangs, and they are the trusty ol faithful to me.

I did not know about the MAF rotation. and this stuff quickly gets out of my understanding. I know car basics, but Im not about to declare myself an expert on A/F ratios, etc.

Edit - I did want to add, that i have heard of people having problems with the CAI, that is the one with the 90 bend into the fenderwell. The RAI is the one like the K&N, just with bigger tubing basically and longer filter?? I think thats correct :scratch:

I do plan on pullying the car down the road.

My thoughts are, Get the K&N FIPK II/JLT RAI or CAI (my mind is about made up on K&N), then go cat-back. At that point I was thinking about getting the Predator with custom tune from James @ RWTD.

I have heard great things about him/his custom tunes. And i think you get free re-tunes, so when its pulley time, have him e-mail another custom tune. Those are my thoughts anyways :shrug:

Road racing does sound like a lot of fun. too bad there just isnt much in the way of good tracks here in San Diego. we lost our only 1/4 strip in Carlsbad a few months ago, no doubt due to more ****ing track homes :rolleyes:

I do want to get some suspension work done soon

Cal speedway isnt all that far from you. Drive up on the 27th of this month. Its free to get in and watch. We will be running there from 7 AM to 5 PM. You wont be able to drive your car with out signing up but you can check it out and see if its somthing you like. You can have a ride along with me if you show. Also Willow Springs isnt all that far.

Yeah I know Beau...well I've never met him, but I've talked to him online before.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the JLT CAI. It looks good, but it's more expensive and it's more difficult to install. It won't really give you that much more hp/tq (if any) over the RAI.

The RAI on the other hand...can't complain. It looks awesome, it's cheap, and it gave me great power. It's similar to the FIPK, but it's from the throttle body all the way back. The FIPK is basically just a new filter. Here's a pic of my RAI setup:

engine.jpg

As for the tune...yeah, James knows his stuff. I don't really recommend going the mail order route though. It could take a while to get the A/F down properly (the dyno rental costs will bite you in the a**), and James is known to be kinda slow (since he has so many customers). So if the tune isn't dead on after the 1st or 2nd try, you'll be spending a lot more than you thought you would've. I would definitely recommend going to a reputable local tuner, like Shawn Ellis. Yeah, he's a bit pricey, but at least you'll know it's done right...and it'll be done right in front of you to boot.

SonicBlue2v03GT said:
I did not know about the MAF rotation. and this stuff quickly gets out of my understanding. I know car basics, but Im not about to declare myself an expert on A/F ratios, etc.
Don't worry about the MAF rotation. The small difference it may make to the overall A/F ratio is minimal at best, plus if you plan on getting a custom tune down the road it will get factored in with any other mods installed at the time.
SonicBlue2v03GT said:
Edit - I did want to add, that i have heard of people having problems with the CAI, that is the one with the 90 bend into the fenderwell. The RAI is the one like the K&N, just with bigger tubing basically and longer filter?? I think thats correct :scratch:
Let me clarify something before Tucker thrashes me! :D The CAI with the 90 degree bend that so many people seem to have issues with is the DC (Densecharger) and NOT to JLT unit. The JLT system moves the MAF into the fender at the very front of the intake tract thereby negating the potential problems with laminar airflow.
And yes, the RAI is similar to the K&N in that it's an under hood setup and not located n the fender.
SonicBlue2v03GT said:
My thoughts are, Get the K&N FIPK II/JLT RAI or CAI (my mind is about made up on K&N), then go cat-back. At that point I was thinking about getting the Predator with custom tune from James @ RWTD.
That plan is sound. You shouldn't need to tune the car just for the FIPK and a C/B. Once you get the Predator you'll be able to tweek the tune as required and you'll be equipped to handle future mods.
SonicBlue2v03GT said:
I have heard great things about him/his custom tunes. And i think you get free re-tunes, so when its pulley time, have him e-mail another custom tune. Those are my thoughts anyways :shrug:
All the great things you heard about James are true, but you may want to go read up on his "Free Tunes for Life" policy. That program worked well for the first couple years, but now he has so many customers it's almost impossible for him to stay on top of it. He had to make some changes to his program and I suggest you read up on what he offers for a specific price before you order. It's still a great deal! http://www.runninwiththedevil.com & http://www.diablosporttuning.com/forums/ for more info.
spree said:
Personally I'm not a big fan of the JLT CAI. It looks good, but it's more expensive and it's more difficult to install. It won't really give you that much more hp/tq (if any) over the RAI.
You forgot how much of a PITA an in-fender CAI is to inspect & service too!
spree said:
The RAI on the other hand...can't complain. It looks awesome, it's cheap, and it gave me great power. It's similar to the FIPK, but it's from the throttle body all the way back. The FIPK is basically just a new filter.
The JLT RAI is a great item and performs well, but the FIPK is more than just a filter! The FIPK comes with a heat shield that seals it off from the rest of the engine compartment when the hood is closed. The RAI does not. The FIPK also comes with the MVD! (Magical Velocity Donut)
vbgarage.php

This velocity bell is mounted to the heatsheild/MAF and helps channel the air straight into the MAF.
spree said:
As for the tune...yeah, James knows his stuff. I don't really recommend going the mail order route though. It could take a while to get the A/F down properly (the dyno rental costs will bite you in the a**), and James is known to be kinda slow (since he has so many customers). So if the tune isn't dead on after the 1st or 2nd try, you'll be spending a lot more than you thought you would've. I would definitely recommend going to a reputable local tuner, like Shawn Ellis. Yeah, he's a bit pricey, but at least you'll know it's done right...and it'll be done right in front of you to boot.
Spree speaks the truth here. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because James got my mail order tune spot on the first try. Usually if you are running the standard mods and nothing unusual or whacky, James mail order tunes come very, very close the first time. I can see though where someone with a finicky Terminator may end up requiring 2 or 3 re-tunes to get things perfect.

As for Shawn Ellis... I let you Cali boys argue that one out! I've seen posts that run from "Shawn Ellis is a tuning God!" to "I wouldn't let Shawn Ellis tune my lawnmower". Your choice guys...

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
The FIPK comes with a heat shield that seals it off from the rest of the engine compartment when the hood is closed. The RAI does not.

Actually my RAI came with a heat shield too. I just haven't installed it yet. It's not quite the same as the K&N heat shield, but it is a heat shield

tn_Cobra%20budget%20kit%202.jpg

Uncle Meat said:
As for Shawn Ellis... I let you Cali boys argue that one out! I've seen posts that run from "Shawn Ellis is a tuning God!" to "I wouldn't let Shawn Ellis tune my lawnmower". Your choice guys...

Yeah, unfortunately I've heard the same stories about Shawn, but he's just about the only local guy with a lot of Cobra experience. Swanson has some too. I don't know what happened with those other guys, but Shawn took great care of me. He went the extra mile to make sure that my car was dialed in properly. I was standing right by him to to verify that A/F was safe. I also asked him to make my tune a little bit more rich than usual, which he did. My A/F ended up being pretty flat at 11.7 all the way up to redline, where it dipped down to 11.4. Oh, and he also measures your A/F at the O2 sensor, which is a very good thing. We ended up doing 5 dyno runs before the tune came out perfect....but he could've easily sent me home after the 3rd run since it was "close enough". But, he went the extra mile to make sure everything was perfect.

Thanks for all the info guys. this is good stuff :cheers:

I actually didnt know the K&N FIPK II was not all the way to the throttle body. I ASSumed it was like the one on my GT.

599572545.jpg

I still like the K&N though. I might do the that and use the JLT upper :shrug:

Both (FIPK and RAI) are very similar in price correct? around 170 a pop, give or take a few bucks?

I have spent the last couple of evenings researching all the Massive amount of info on the CAI debate over on SVTP

As far as the pulley swap then a tune. Yeah I understand now the importance of it, it will take more than just a mail order tune, that will be dead on the first time. I will put some more research and thought about this one. once the swap is done a good tune is VERY important.

The Predator still seems to be very popular, and less expensive than dyno tune I would imagine?

What about Rick @ Amazon. Both him and James seem to be real popular. But I really dont want to play the try to get a hold of someone for a week, to say get another tune if the A/F isnt dead on the first time. That road I do NOT want to go down.

And Spree - is Shaun Ellis in OC or further up in LA? that LA traffic is no Picnic, let me tell ya :nonono:

Attachments

• 599572545.jpg
    599572545.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 65
SonicBlue2v03GT said:
Both (FIPK and RAI) are very similar in price correct? around 170 a pop, give or take a few bucks?

The RAI is cheaper. You can get an FIPK for 150-170 shipped...the RAI cost me $130 shipped. I have my old FIPK if you wanna buy it off me...there's a post on SVTP's market about it if ya want it. I would seriously recommend the RAI though, and I've owned both.

SonicBlue2v03GT said:
As far as the pulley swap then a tune. Yeah I understand now the importance of it, it will take more than just a mail order tune, that will be dead on the first time. I will put some more research and thought about this one. once the swap is done a good tune is VERY important.

The Predator still seems to be very popular, and less expensive than dyno tune I would imagine?

You can do a dyno tune using the predator. Basically, when you buy a predator, it comes with a crappy tune from Diablosport that you will not want to use. Then, people like James@RWTD and Rick@Amazon and even Shawn Ellis can load a custom tune onto the predator, which you then can load onto your car. I personally use an SCT Xcalibrator...good unit, but most people prefer the Predator. Yes, getting a dyno tune would cost you more than just a custom tune from RWTD or Amazon...but a dyno tune is certainly better than just a mail order custom tune.

SonicBlue2v03GT said:
What about Rick @ Amazon. Both him and James seem to be real popular. But I really dont want to play the try to get a hold of someone for a week, to say get another tune if the A/F isnt dead on the first time. That road I do NOT want to go down.

And Spree - is Shaun Ellis in OC or further up in LA? that LA traffic is no Picnic, let me tell ya :nonono:

Rick is good...probably a bit more responsive than James, but I think he also charges for tune updates. I hate to say it though, all these guys have A LOT of customers and may take some time to send you updates to your tune. You just have to be patient.

Or...you can pay more and book an appointment with someone like Shawn Ellis and have him work on your car till it's done right. I took that route after I spent $250 on dyno time and the headaches of going back and forth with my mail order tune. Yes, Shawn is in the OC (Anaheim to be exact). He works out of Superior Automotive.

First of all. Decisions...decisions...on the CAI. Thanks again for all the good info.

I need to get the MGW shifter and MM adj. clutch quadrant and F/A first. I also need to get an alarm. No garage for me :(

Spree, was just thinking. I do have access to a Predator for my 04 Cobra, I can buy off a friend for cheap. I could go this route, and take the Predator up to Shaun Ellis, when its pulley swap time. You stated that he does use that software? Correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks.

JJ

SonicBlue2v03GT said:
First of all. Decisions...decisions...on the CAI. Thanks again for all the good info.

I need to get the MGW shifter and MM adj. clutch quadrant and F/A first. I also need to get an alarm. No garage for me :(

Spree, was just thinking. I do have access to a Predator for my 04 Cobra, I can buy off a friend for cheap. I could go this route, and take the Predator up to Shaun Ellis, when its pulley swap time. You stated that he does use that software? Correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks.

JJ

Why is your friend selling his Predator? You do know that not all Predators are the same right? Your friend's Predator is for an 03/04 Cobra, right? Predators can not be shared between two cars in case you didn't know...

U.M.

SonicBlue2v03GT said:

I'm not sure if the Predator VIN locks itself to a car or whatever...you might want to talk to Shawn to see if it's possible for you to buy it off your friend and use it. But yes, Shawn has the software to load tunes on both DiabloSport and SCT products. So...assuming there are no issues with the Predator and VIN locking, he should be able to load a custom tune onto that puppy.

I know that in the case of my Xcalibrator, you need to load the factory tune back onto the car for it to become unlocked. This is to prevent people from buying one Xcalibrator and sharing it amongst multiple cars.

But anyways...give Shawn a call and see what he says...562-305-3532

Uncle Meat said:
Why is your friend selling his Predator? You do know that not all Predators are the same right? Your friend's Predator is for an 03/04 Cobra, right? Predators can not be shared between two cars in case you didn't know...

U.M.

Thanks U.M. Yeah, I did know that about a tuner mating itself to the vehicle once you install the tune. I should have mentioned that in my post. I purchased an SCT tuner with custom tune from Ken B. at Modular Depot for my GT. Hence whoever buys the car gets it.

My friend Troy, has a whippl'd 04 Cobra. He posts on SVTP alot. You may have seen him post. His is white with blue racing stripes. I think he has a sig pic of it. Car is sweet. Went for a ride in that 592/562 HP and TQ. That is what gave me the Cobra bug really bad, even though I already had it. :D

Anyways, I think he never used it, since he Whippl'd it with a dyno tune. I will find out about it today.

spree said:
I'm not sure if the Predator VIN locks itself to a car or whatever...you might want to talk to Shawn to see if it's possible for you to buy it off your friend and use it. But yes, Shawn has the software to load tunes on both DiabloSport and SCT products. So...assuming there are no issues with the Predator and VIN locking, he should be able to load a custom tune onto that puppy.

I know that in the case of my Xcalibrator, you need to load the factory tune back onto the car for it to become unlocked. This is to prevent people from buying one Xcalibrator and sharing it amongst multiple cars.

But anyways...give Shawn a call and see what he says...562-305-3532

Thanks Spree, I just posted when the thought popped into my head. Depends on if it has been used. I also need to think about the reality of, if I buy the Predator off say Shawn Ellis, if I do go that route, that he will give me a deal on the dyno tune. I think you said something along that route. Like he gave you a deal on the dyno, since you purchased your SCT X from him??

Okay, that was a run on sentence. Point is...I would rather buy the Predator off the guy who was going to load a custom tune, say Rick or James, or do the same if I go dyno tune from Shawn Ellis.

BUT, word is he might sell it for cheap. I am going to PM about it right now.

I know this is a little off the current topic, but since we're talking about prices we got our cars for, was 24,500 a good deal for my 03? Had 20200 miles and the mods in my sig already. BTW congrats on the car, looks good in silver. Happy GM killing.

SonicBlue2v03GT said:
Thanks Spree, I just posted when the thought popped into my head. Depends on if it has been used. I also need to think about the reality of, if I buy the Predator off say Shawn Ellis, if I do go that route, that he will give me a deal on the dyno tune. I think you said something along that route. Like he gave you a deal on the dyno, since you purchased your SCT X from him??

Okay, that was a run on sentence. Point is...I would rather buy the Predator off the guy who was going to load a custom tune, say Rick or James, or do the same if I go dyno tune from Shawn Ellis.

BUT, word is he might sell it for cheap. I am going to PM about it right now.

Nah, I didn't buy my Xcal from Shawn. I'm not sure what the pricing is like if you buy the Predator from him, but I'm sure he'll cut you a better deal. Give Shawn a call and see what he says...I'm guessing he'll charge you anywhere from $600-$800 for a Predator with a custom dyno tune, and that's pretty reasonable IMO. The dyno tune by itself should be $300-$400.

96GTauto said:
I know this is a little off the current topic, but since we're talking about prices we got our cars for, was 24,500 a good deal for my 03? Had 20200 miles and the mods in my sig already. BTW congrats on the car, looks good in silver. Happy GM killing.

I think you got a good deal. 24,500 for that many miles seems to be right about what they are selling for with that mileage. I was shopping for several months and planning this thing before it finally happened.

Thanks for the congrats :cheers:

And yeah about the GM killing. I find myself really looking forward to stomping some LS1's. I briefly raced one from a stop to about 60mph one night last week, but had my GT since I have been prepping it for sale, so I lost :bang:

But, Soon enough - muahahahhaaa!!! They will be mine...ohh yess :D

spree said:
Nah, I didn't buy my Xcal from Shawn. I'm not sure what the pricing is like if you buy the Predator from him, but I'm sure he'll cut you a better deal. Give Shawn a call and see what he says...I'm guessing he'll charge you anywhere from $600-$800 for a Predator with a custom dyno tune, and that's pretty reasonable IMO. The dyno tune by itself should be $300-$400.

Made a thread on local boards about it. All I hear is some people saying he is the greatest and others say, I wouldnt recommend him to anyone. :bang:

I guess that's what the forums and the Internet can be all about sometimes.

I guess I could give him a call and ask him straight up. I dunno...must keep researching...

Thanks Spree, check back in on this thread from time to time if you would. Or maybe Ill make a new one.

U.M. - what was the name of the guy, and URL who seems to be THE GUY to buy the SS inserts from? I thought I had the page bookmarked, and after the SN crash, my thread is gone :(

Edit - repeats to self - the search feature is my friend

http://www.stainlessbumperletters.com/home.phtml