Brake and Fuel line replacement

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
So my " grocery getter" has gotten a bit out of control here lately... I do NOT want a full restoration on it, just want to make a safe and dependable occasional driver.

Engine is out, crossmember/K member is out. ( which is WAY more than I planned) after I get the dash out, I will address a new booster and any clutch/brake pedal bushings or cable at that time..... So now it the time to replace some items that will be much easier to get to than later....

Back to my brake/Fuel line header..... Mine don't look too bad, but there is some corrosion on them, the brackets being the worse... 83, so they have been on this car almost 40 years.. The last car I did the hard lines were all rusted and shot, so it was a no brainer, while these are just " old and corroded a bit"???

Should I replace them? If so now would be the time.......

• Sponsors (?)

I did

I bought SS brake lines as a replacement and replaced everything but the axle mounted lines (will do those at a later date)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I did

I bought SS brake lines as a replacement and replaced everything but the axle mounted lines (will do those at a later date)

What condition were your brake lines in?

The 'snow ball effect' sets in :jester:
LOL so funny arent you.... I can't stand it when things arent right......
there was some slight surface rust on the Kmember, so I pulled it, wired wheeled it and etch primered the bare spots, priimered all of it, then sprayed it black... Been removing some brackets, bolts and fasteners, wire wheel them, paint them and reinstall.....
The radiator support area had some rusty spots, wired wheeled and sanded then the primer/paint ritual... Of course I am using rust oleum, which takes about a week to dry......... I SHOULD sand down the entire engine compartment and paint it, but then I would have to have some paint matched ( body color) and it would look nicer than the entire car........ Snow ball effect is correct......
This is NOT what I wanted to do here...............
I should be at the Coffee shop with the other geezers fixing the worlds problems
DSCF0726.JPG
DSCF1034.JPG

Last edited:
For just oem type stuff, I've used classic tube prebent lines on a few crusty fox bodies I've had over the years, anything that lived in NY or above states had crusty lines by the time they ended up in my hands. If you don't care about oem or want to do some custom routing order a roll of niccop line and fittings

My Master cylinder is removed and i pushed the nuts back on the brake line there, and its pretty rusty.......

I'd change them out then. You don't need Stainless. They have a standard steel line as well. You could also just run your own but I suck at flaring brake lines.

I personally like the SS lines, but you don't see them with all the EFI stuff back in the engine bay

Reactions: 1 user
Just spent $202 on some new SS brake lines.... I was going to order the fuel lines also, but I didn't have the heart to spend $500 today on what I thought I would not need on this project.........
I used SS on the dodge when I did it and said I would use steel if ever again...... They say the newer SS lines are a bit "softer" ....LOL
DSCF0428.JPG

The "might as well" syndrome can be a blessing and a curse. "If I am going to do this...I might as well do that".
I am a victim of this mindset for years. It has delayed projects (like my current one) but truth be told, besides the extra cost, and time, it always pays off in the long run.

• Agree
Just spent $202 on some new SS brake lines.... I was going to order the fuel lines also, but I didn't have the heart to spend $500 today on what I thought I would not need on this project.........
I used SS on the dodge when I did it and said I would use steel if ever again...... They say the newer SS lines are a bit "softer" ....LOL
DSCF0428.JPG
Nicopp is soft, easy to flare and bend plus it won't rust... if your patient with routing its cake to work with. Put miles of that stuff on GM trucks over the years.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users