Brake Conversion

dlll

Jan 24, 2015
Hi all new to the forum. I have own several mustangs manly 1969's and it's been awhile. This was given to me for my 14 year old daughter a original owner 1965 6cyl 3sp stick unmolested and locked away for 25 years. I have to say this is one of the cleanest California cars I have ever seen. It is a 4 lug and i need to consider a disc brake and power steering system for her. Have been reading that the parts off a granada would fit, would this include a 1982 or are their curtain years that fit. II have access to a complete 1982 Granada so i could take the complete front end and rear end for a 5 lug conversion or should i just go with a 4 lug disc brake conversion kit. I would like to also take the 3 sp out and swap a automatic c4. I know what you guys are thinking you are stupid to tare this time capsule. I really dont know the value of it but cant think it is worth alot being a t code car and no option car. Just want to get it safe and easy to drive for her when she get her permit. What are your mustang expert thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

I say teach her to drive the stick! She'll be a better driver for it in the long run. Itll be a pain and a little expensive to do a 5 lug conversion, but if you plan to keep the straight 6 anyway I would keep the 4 lugs just so you could save the money for whatever else the car needs. Power brakes would be a good idea along with a double MC up front. The old single cylinders with drums scare me. I'm not sure who sells a disk upgrade for the 4 lugs, some browsing online should turn something up.

Ok thanks after much reading and searching the car is staying a 6 banger. I will install power steering and will be doing the Saturn vue conversion. Is their a step by step measurement instructions to this for a 1965. I already ordered the harness off ebay and going to pick and pull to get the box today.

here are two sites that have a lot of information regarding your six cylinder car;

http://classicinlines.com/

this site has a lot of tech articles that are very helpful, and they sell a variety of parts for the inline six.

http://fordsix.com/

this site also has tech articles, as well as discussion forums on a variety of subjects dealing with six cylinder powered vehicles. including forums about converting to EFI, disc brakes, hopping up the six, etc.

Factory produced '75-'80 Granada/Monarch front disc brake spindles on a '65/'66 Mustang front suspension will have the potential to induce steering problems.

This is because the '65/'66 Mustangs have a 2" narrower track width than the '75-'80 Granada. The steering arm angles are not the same between the two.

Installing factory Granada spindles/front discs is not a problem on '67-'70 Mustangs because they have the same track width and spindle steering arm angles as the Granada.

CSRP produces new Granada - based spindles that have the correct steering arm angles cast into them to install Granada front discs on a '65/'66 Mustang.

The 2nd problem with putting V-8 spindles on a six cylinder '65/'66 Mustang will be the six cylinder specific steering components. ALL of the six cylinder steering components will have to be changed to V-8 steering components from a '65/'66 V-8 Mustang, to eliminate steering problems.

How about an electric assisted steering shaft? You can avoid the extra hydraulics and rack limitations.
I am sure I just saw an ad in Street Rodder that lists Mustang applications.