Brakes Brake distribution valve question

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Is the brake distribution valve mounted in the same place in all fox body years??
I need to purchase the correct new short lines that go from it to the Master Cylinder due to a :power booster change.
I " think" I can order the " V8 " booster lines in a newer ( my car is an 83) car if the distribution valve is the same one...
Changed from my pancake booster ( see in pic) to the longer smaller one , NOT a cobra booster.....
Thanks
DSCF1044.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

My new booster has pushed the Master cylinder forward so the brake lines are now way off...
This " new " booster comes out of a " newer " foxbody, so my thought here is calling a pre bent line place and seeing if I could get just the two lines from the distribution block to the MC for ' whatever year " this booster came from...
Hence my question " is the DB in the same place"?
Here are some pictures, Thanks for the help
DSCF1239.JPG
DSCF1240.JPG
DSCF1241.JPG

Last edited:
I meant what what MC?

Because those fitting sizes all changes through the years. The PV is a combo of 3/8 and 7/16 flare, while post 87+ masters are metric.

I believe the MM kit you have highlighted is the correct one for your application, assuming you are running the 93 cobra MC. It will work with either the 87-93 booster or the 93 cobra/sn95 booster as they are the same front to back.

Your booster and mc look very similar to the original ones on my 85 GT. My mc-to-pv lines are a curly-cue design, nothing like the ones you show with 90 & 180 degree bends.

I looked around on multiple sites (AmericanMuscle, CJPony, FoxResto, LMR, NAPA, NPD and RockAuto) and couldn't find any that are like mine. That seems odd to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Your booster and mc look very similar to the original ones on my 85 GT. My mc-to-pv lines are a curly-cue design, nothing like the ones you show with 90 & 180 degree bends.

I looked around on multiple sites (AmericanMuscle, CJPony, FoxResto, LMR, NAPA, NPD and RockAuto) and couldn't find any that are like mine. That seems odd to me.

Gotta buy it as part of a kit unfortunately.

And if you call up classic tube, they will make you just the two lines you need. You’ll need to call and ask however.

The curled lines are factory correct. Max Motorsports adapters are not that way.

That is a rock auto MC for an 83.... This was ordered a long time ago before any thought of changing out the PB... LOL
I think sstubes is different than Classic..... But it looks like the 85-86 tubes are what I need...
Thanks for getting me in the right direction here... I didn't even think about any of it being Metric.....

While these are new lines ( the two small ones) that came with the kit I purchased, they are exactly like the stock ones that came off of it when using the original Booster as shown in the #1 post here......
Just wanted to say these are correct apparently until Ford went to the booster I installed and went to the " curly Q design".
Although when I ordered this booster the parts houses showed this for a V8 car while the original one I had ( Pancake looking booster) was shown for 4 cylinder cars..... Just saying........

Last edited:
Gonna OT my own post....
That dipstick look correct?? I have the feeling its the Explorer dipstick....
Any help here too?

Last edited:
Definitely doesn't look 100% correct. The entire dipstick and tube assembly is sticking up too high. The tube is kinda angled wrong. And the handle loop is facing the wrong direction (looks rotated about 90 degrees or so).

And like Mustang5L5 said, it should be nutted down, to 2 header studs actually. Can't tell if it is or not. As a side note, the Ford accessory chrome dipstick only has 1 attachment point at the header.

The bracket for this dipstick is not permanently attached to it... I modified it a bit to fit the headers better... Not shown in pic... I will go through my other dipsticks....
thanks again..

The explorer dipstick is black plastic with yellow writing. It is also really long and would angle forward towards the PS pump. The tube is also black. That looks like a mustang dipstick just sitting up higher.

When I do headers for folks I'll bend the factory tube to fit. The factory mustang dipsticks were known to be incorrect. After an oil change I take a file and make my own full marks.

So lets reopen this discussion....
Unable to buy just the " curly Q" lines from the dist block to the MC, unless I bought the entire kit.... I passed...
Had to redo my Rear end housing lines to upgrade to the 87 up " Dual Exhaust" brake lines and they came out pretty good with the Copper-Nickel " kit" I purchased from Prime, so I will bend my own.....
EDIT: I just reread my post again and 5L5 said Classic would do it so I will try them as I " think " it was SS tubes I spoke to...

I am trying to finish the brake lines and bleed the system, I noticed my distribution/Proportioning valve was plugged with shmoo so I removed it to clean it..
Looks like I should disassemble it to do this, but I want to make sure I have a back up plan.. I have a rebuild kit ( new seals and O rings) but it always seems that people who try this have problems??????
No EXACT new ones available ( # EOZC-2B328-AA) looks like for 79-86 cars...
But this one ( attached pic) fits a 70-73, and from what I can see its EXACTLY what I have, and this is for a Disc/Drum brake set up????
Would this work???
Thanks for any help here......
1697737570885.png

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket proportioning valves like the one in the attached pic here?
I wasnt' even going to check my Proportioning valve and sure glad I did... It is all plugged up and at this point I am unable to get one of the small brass pistons out... New ones seem to be unobtainable and there are NO aftermarket stock models being offered.....
Hope I still might get my stock one to work, but??????
1698181010686.png
1698181010686.png

Last edited:
So I found a part number on mine and did some research and this site has the interchange on cars that will have the correct one.

You might be able to find on in a salvage yard near you or have one shipped. There is one up here in Oklahoma for $40.

I know people have used ones like you posed above and they work but if you can find a clean OEM one and use your rebuild kit it will be a lot less hassle.

So I found a part number on mine and did some research and this site has the interchange on cars that will have the correct one.

You might be able to find on in a salvage yard near you or have one shipped. There is one up here in Oklahoma for $40.

I know people have used ones like you posed above and they work but if you can find a clean OEM one and use your rebuild kit it will be a lot less hassle.
TY for the response... I have the kit from MCR and have actually been in contact with the owner....
Mine is in good shape, I just think the 3 orings that are holding this piston in have swelled or become very hard... The end of the piston you can see has a slot in it and I can turn it both ways with a screwdriver, so I don't believe its seized...
Oddball fittings to block off ports so I can use compressed air to push the piston out, have been a pain to find, but I have a couple of them coming now..
MCR said they have had good luck using a grease gun to push out the piston with " hydraulic action"...
I located the adapter fitting I need to do the grease gun at Speedway....... I honestly do not think I will find a valve in any better condition than the one I have...
Seems odd that NOBODY has reproduced one. Seems like you can buy every year but this 80-86 valve........
Buying the valve in the upper post is probably the last resort.... What a pain..... This is keeping my car off the road....

Last edited: