Brake light short

Hungsoloublo

Oct 16, 2018
I have had a short in my brake lights. I replaced pedel switch twice. Was convinced that the last time i fixed it. Randomly the brake lights stay on and and wires get burning hot and melt the wiees to switch on pedal. I found a brake light buld last time with a short between the two prongs. But bulb still worked. Replaced switch and bulb. 3 months later problem all over again. Have chased ground and everything checkes out. But i must have missed something. Any advice would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

What I would like to know is how many Ohms of resistance between the load side of the brake pedal switch and battery negative. Be sure the VOM has good batteries and is zeroed before taking the measurement. I suspect we are going to find the resistance is very low thus causing the amps to be too high.

If easier, you could take the Ohm measurement at the power side of any brake light.

Have you done any modifications to the brake lights? Different bulbs than stock?

Have you looked at ALL of the bulbs themselves and the sockets for evidence of over heating or water damage?