Brake lights not working

bneal007

May 3, 2006
Nashville TN
HELP!! I have a 2000 Mustang GT and none of my brake lights are working. The bulbs look good and I replaced the fuse, and the stoplight switch with no change. Anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is it just the brake light portion of the bulb assemlby? Do the tail lights come on when you turn your headlights on? What about your blinkers, do they work?

Jinx102672 said:
Is it just the brake light portion of the bulb assemlby? Do the tail lights come on when you turn your headlights on? What about your blinkers, do they work?

Both blinkers work, emergency flashers, and tail lights. I also noticed that my cruise control is not working which made me think I still have a bad switch so i got another switch still no brake lights.

bneal007 said:
I also noticed that my cruise control is not working...

you may be onto something here. Cruise shuts off when you apply the brakes, so your brake light problem and cruise problem may be cause by the same thing. Start looking to see what item(s) both use as a part of their operating systems.

Here is a picture of the stoplight switch i replaced twice. There is also a white plastic part that connects to my brake pedal that moves in when i push the brake. can any one tell me what it is I cant find it in part catalogs.

Attachments

• SW2154.jpg
    SW2154.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,663
'03 fuses (I know your's 2000) but they may be similar. By the way which fuse did you replace?

Interior
33 - Stop lamp switch, Speed control deactivation switch.
41 - brake lamp

This may be a dumb question, but I gotta ask...

Did you put the right kind of bulbs (dual filament) in for the brake lights? Also what (if any) were the circumstances leading up to the brake lights not working?

Jinx102672 said:
This may be a dumb question, but I gotta ask...

Did you put the right kind of bulbs (dual filament) in for the brake lights? Also what (if any) were the circumstances leading up to the brake lights not working?

Yes I have the correct bulbs. I did nothing i can think of that would cause them not to work. Yesterday someone said hey your brake lights are not coming on and here i am.

bneal007 said:
where is the multifuntion switch? is it the turn signal unit on the steering column?

Yes it is. This is a very good possibility for your problem. Ford has known issues with these things not working, or even catching fire (re-called). Keep plugging away at it and keep us posted. :nice:

Jinx102672 said:
Yes it is. This is a very good possibility for your problem. Ford has known issues with these things not working, or even catching fire (re-called). Keep plugging away at it and keep us posted. :nice:

Yeah I did'nt know the brake wires went through the multifunction switch. I bet thats my problem cause sometimes my wipers come on by themselves. I'll check it out thanks for the help..

There was a thread not to long ago about the removal of the whole assembly. Try a search for it, cause there are tiny pieces that can get lost very easily. Most people were able to get in there and clean the contacts, which solved there problem.

As a matter of fact svttech76 had alot to say about them :nice:
Click here