Brake pistons won't retract

JCStangGT

Jul 3, 2019
Connecticut
Hello! I have done some searching on the forums but have been unable to find anything. I have an 03 GT. Initially, when I purchased the car, I had issues with the driver side caliper sticking. Sticking to the point where the pads would smoke and heat up the wheel. Naturally, I replaced the caliper. Soon after, the passenger side did the same thing. So I replaced that caliper. The passenger side is still sticking. If you put the car in the air and spin the wheel, it will move. If you step on the brake the wheel stops. If you release the brake, the wheel wont budge. I feel I may have air in the lines or a vacuum issue, as the piston on a brand new caliper will not retract. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

99-04 GT calipers are notorious for having the pistons stick in the bores, especially if the car sits for some time or even over the winter. It's VERY common, and the solution is to replace the caliper. I wouldn't be surprised if a reman did it out of the box.

Consider upgrading tot he Cobra 13" setup. The pistons are metal and don't suffer the same issues. Plus 13" brakes

99-04 GT calipers are notorious for having the pistons stick in the bores, especially if the car sits for some time or even over the winter. It's VERY common, and the solution is to replace the caliper. I wouldn't be surprised if a reman did it out of the box.

Consider upgrading tot he Cobra 13" setup. The pistons are metal and don't suffer the same issues. Plus 13" brakes
What else needs to change with the cobra brakes? Easy as just swapping calipers and rotors? Problems with wheel clearance? I have aftermarket wheels so theres no way to know if they will clear I guess until it's done.

I put them on my 03GT.

just need calipers and the rotors. Might need banjo bolts as well. Pretty sure 99-04 brake lines were the same for GT and cobra.

they clear all 17” and larger wheels.