Brake Shoes alignment

gaprabbit

Aug 10, 2021
So Cal
Hi there, I bought the drum brake rebuild kit for LMR, followed the instructions from the YouTube video, but somehow the primary brake shoe seems to be sitting higher than the secondary (see picture). Has anyone had similar issues and what is the fix for this?
PXL_20211113_030102230.jpg
PXL_20211113_030044029.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Primary going first is part of 'self energizing' action.

It seems to look ok in pics (hard to tell).
Adjuster is collapsed down mostly right?
Hi, not sure what you mean by the adjuster "collapsed down mostly," but here is a closer pic. Also, I realized there are two parts that I did not install since they weren't part of the installation video. Attached pic for reference. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20211114_234543765.jpg
    PXL_20211114_234543765.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20211114_234614445.jpg
    PXL_20211114_234614445.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 53
Yes it does but if the pucks in the wheel cylinder are not pushed in on both sides it could hold the shoe out making the spring pull up.
Is the lever between the shoes oriented correctly.
Some thing is off in the pic, besides the obvious, but I can't point it out at the moment.
Is there some slack in the e-brake cable?
That horse shoe clip is what holds the e-brake cable to the shoe.

Yes it does but if the pucks in the wheel cylinder are not pushed in on both sides it could hold the shoe out making the spring pull up.
Is the lever between the shoes oriented correctly.
Some thing is off in the pic, besides the obvious, but I can't point it out at the moment.
Is there some slack in the e-brake cable?
That horse shoe clip is what holds the e-brake cable to the shoe.
The pucks on both sides seem to be sitting in the wheel cylinder, I don't see anyrhing sticking out. I tried cracking the bleed and pushing both shoes in, but there still was a upward pulling force.
Slack in the e brake cable is minimal, they seem to be sitting snugly in the equalizer.

Pull the self adjusting lever out a little and spin the wheel that last couple threads in, it may not be your problem, but it won't hurt.
I still can't put my finger on what looks wrong.
I would disassemble that side and arrange the parts on the floor and make sure everything matches the opposite side, then assemble it again, you may have a 'oh crap' moment finding something wrong.
I used to get confused when doing drum brake repair.
Give us some pics too.

Reactions: 1 user
Pull the self adjusting lever out a little and spin the wheel that last couple threads in, it may not be your problem, but it won't hurt.
I still can't put my finger on what looks wrong.
I would disassemble that side and arrange the parts on the floor and make sure everything matches the opposite side, then assemble it again, you may have a 'oh crap' moment finding something wrong.
I used to get confused when doing drum brake repair.
Give us some pics too.
I found the problem why the primary shoe was sticking out.. the wheel cylinder's piston on the primary shoe side was popping out (very firm, i couldn't get it to go back into the wheel cylinder). i tried opening the bleeder, and pushing both shoes in at the same time, but the two metal pistons were just really firm and not going anywhere
Question: With the wheel cylinder off the brake fluid line, are the pistons on both sides of the wheel cylinder supposed to be soft and easily pushed in?

See post 7 and 11
Replace the wheel cylinder, hell replace both, they are the same age and not a lot of money.
Lets make more work, check/replace the hose on the read end and pump new fluid into the brake system pushing out the old.
Can't have too much brakes

Reactions: 1 user
Your E brake cable is stuck or frozen partially applied
You can see the spring around the cable partially compressed in the 2nd photo
Real common
Hmm there's some slack on the e brake cable, and the metal piece behind the secondary shoe for the e brake seems to be sitting loosely behind the brake shoe
I also replaced the e brake cables too so I doubt it's frozen already