Brakes....good performance...low dusting? Also 73mm Caliper upgrade? Rotor suggestion

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Gonna need some new pads for the stang soon...the ones on it are still good, but they must be junk, cause they dust like crazy, and the get warm fast and alot of pedal feel is gone....sometimes it feels like I have no pads at all...but checked them the other day and all is good...Must be just old or crappy..

So...I heard that hawks dont dust to bad, but some people told me they were horrible...reason being is, Im so tired of the pads I have now, (unknown brand) but they dust like crazy and I hate seeing my wheels get so bad...what about ebc's...or another brand of good pads. I dont drive hard alot, but when I do, I like to know the brakes will stop me haha :D

Is the 73mm Caliper upgrade worth while :shrug: Whats involved...Ill probably have to do a search for this...worth the upgrade?

Rotors...just buy stockers from autozone or whatever, or go with a slotted rotor? I have read many brake suggestions/threads and I always just see two sides of the story, so fig. Ill ask anyways. Right now my rotors are warped so Ill just get new ones shortly

Thanks agian :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

I think the 73 mm caliper upgrade is the best cheap bang for your buck that you can get. I used the cheapo pads that came with the loaded calipers and have had no problems. You will need a new master cylinder and a 3-2 port conversion to go along with it. See http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/ for details.

jrichker said:
I think the 73 mm caliper upgrade is the best cheap bang for your buck that you can get. I used the cheapo pads that came with the loaded calipers and have had no problems. You will need a new master cylinder and a 3-2 port conversion to go along with it. See http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/ for details.

Thanks...just the info I wanted...I read the sight often...I wanted to stay away from having to do all the master cyl stuff and all that jazz...I fig. If Im gonna do that, I might as well just go 13" cobras up front and 11" discs out abck...so you awnsered my question...looks like sticking with just a replacment hihg performance pad and some good rotors :nice:

you should get some new rotors and then get the maximum motorsports brake kit. Its on their site, comes with pads, shoes, and stainless lines for much better braking and brake feel.

I think the 73mm caliper upgrade is a great improvement.

But first.....

try getting some hawk pads. Get the second step up ones (tp1 or something like that). Serious braking imrpovement. You might decide that they are enough of a gain on their own.

Dont bother with a rear disc conversion (TC rear/mc-2300C kit). I did it. No improvement whatsoever. Expensive and time consuming

If master cylinder must get replaced, I warmly recommend getting the SVO master cylinder. It is 1 1/8 has DUAL reserviors and if you can get it from the "yard" complete with it's 3 port block, you are golden for a direct bolt-in (though the rear drums will now not have the right pressure but they didnt do that much to begin with and the 73mm calipers and hawk pads will more than make up for it)

Good luck

1EVIL88VERT said:
EBC greenstuff pads, i have them on all my cars....low dust, almost no fade, and the best part is they are very easy on you rotors.....something that is rare in a high performance pads

I have heard from SEVERAL people that they would not touch those pads with a 10 foot pole, most are into some road racing though.

Hey guys, scrape through that altimas'net link for some humorous commentary and good technical advice before you waste money on crossdrilled/slotted rotors. It's altima based but a brake is a brake and the thread eventually makes the point that CD/slotted rotors are pure bling and in today's world serve no purpose since the gas dispearsion issue on brakepads is long gone. Furthermore, they reduce heat dissipation and crack.