Brand new "Base" 2011 GT - 6-speed. Newbie questions:

2011MustangGT

Dec 5, 2010
Hey guys, first post. First Mustang. First Ford. So I may run into some questions ;) It's the base model, with zero options, except the blessed 5.0 mated to a 6-speed manual. It's delicious.

12v Aux Ports. They all seem to stay on even when the car is off. How are people wiring up their Radar/iPod/Phone chargers or GPS? Is there a way to make the Aux ports turn off when the car is off (at least one of the TWO)? Right now I have my Radar on the dash, using the conveniently inches away dash aux port - but I've gone two or three nights where I wake up and realize that it never turned off all night. How can I remedy this, whats the easiest method?

Stock sound quality. It's pretty poor. What size speakers are the rear speakers? 6x9's? Are they easy for me to go to Best Buy, pick out some good speakers, unscrew, and wire the new ones in without any major work? How about the front ones, what size fits in the door? Are the door panels easily removed?

MP3 CD's work in the stereo. What about MP3 DVD's?
It'd be far more convenient to put 4.3 gigs of mp3's in the single slot instead of 700mb.

How often realistically are people changing their oil?
I've heard many people have disregarded the computer's oil life percentage, are people generally waiting 7k miles? 10k miles?

Thanks guys! :)

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, first post. First Mustang. First Ford. So I may run into some questions ;) It's the base model, with zero options, except the blessed 5.0 mated to a 6-speed manual. It's delicious.

12v Aux Ports. They all seem to stay on even when the car is off. How are people wiring up their Radar/iPod/Phone chargers or GPS? Is there a way to make the Aux ports turn off when the car is off (at least one of the TWO)? Right now I have my Radar on the dash, using the conveniently inches away dash aux port - but I've gone two or three nights where I wake up and realize that it never turned off all night. How can I remedy this, whats the easiest method?

Stock sound quality. It's pretty poor. What size speakers are the rear speakers? 6x9's? Are they easy for me to go to Best Buy, pick out some good speakers, unscrew, and wire the new ones in without any major work? How about the front ones, what size fits in the door? Are the door panels easily removed?

MP3 CD's work in the stereo. What about MP3 DVD's?
It'd be far more convenient to put 4.3 gigs of mp3's in the single slot instead of 700mb.

How often realistically are people changing their oil?
I've heard many people have disregarded the computer's oil life percentage, are people generally waiting 7k miles? 10k miles?

Thanks guys! :)

1. hardwire your radar detector to a switched power source.
2. best buy or crutchfield can answer this. base speakers aren't supposed to be amazing.
3. take an mp3 dvd to the dealer and try it out
4. no freakin clue

The only questions I can honestly answer are the last 2. However, I do have a suggestion to go with the answers.
Suggestion: If you really want improvements (such as the shaker 1000 vs the standard 500 in the GT) don't buy the base model. Unless, of course, you plan on doing more than just upgrading the peripherals (like making this a race or show car). I've learned this over the years. Get what you really want to start with, because (as I see it) your making an investment when it comes to these cars, don't cheat yourself. Yes, you'll spend just a little more than buying and installing it after-market, but you'll be much happier in the long run as everything is integrated.
Now for the last 2 answers:
3. Like was previously said, get a MP3 DVD and try it out, and/or ask the dealer. Since the manual only mentions CDs (best I recall) I wouldn't expect it to do more.
4. Follow the recommended schedule to avoid warranty issues, especially if you are going to, or have, bought the extended warranties. Once its out of warranty, do what you want its your engine. :D This all depends on how you drive. Do you push the engine hard, in dusty or other adverse conditions, or is it just a daily driver?

You can easily take the console out and trace the wiring to the 12v outlet to install a switch. I have my iPod stashed in the console and the wire goes to the head unit. Also, not shown in the pic, I have a USB 12v charger that plugs into the console outlet, then travel up through the dash to my phone dock - it's always plugged in and has never drained the battery (as long as you drive the car about once a week).

DSC02032.jpg

Yeah - an '07 - but similar.

MemoryCard3-2010621-1.jpg

Here's the phone dock - that cable going into the phone travels through the console and plugs into the 12v outlet.

Yeah - start with the speakers - I'm not sure of the size but go with Crutchfield or eBay - I avoid Best Buy like a plague. If speakers don't do much to improve the quality, change the head unit.
How often realistically are people changing their oil? I've heard many people have disregarded the computer's oil life percentage, are people generally waiting 7k miles? 10k miles?
Mobil 1 from Wal Mart; 5k to 7k miles max. /debate :nice: