Brand New Mustang Owner - 50th Anniversary Limited Edition

JWAZ73

Jun 5, 2016
Hello Friends! Today I took the plunge and bought my first ever mustang. I lucked out and found a beautiful, brand new 2015 50th Anniversary Limited Edition GT Premium. I am looking forward to some quality time behind the wheel of this beauty! I will attach some photos below.

I found the car on the Internet last night and went to the dealership first thing this morning only to find the car sitting in the delivery room ready for someone else to take delivery of her. The sales staff immediately saw my disappointment and began helping me search for any remaining, similar models. About 45 minutes into our search the sales manager came up to us and said this car was purchased sight unseen and the new owner does not want a manual transmission. It was now back up for sale. I put the keys in my pocket and only took them out for the lot attendant to wash her and fill her with gas! I guess it was meant to be...

I come to you all with some simple questions. Being new the performance cars I find myself wondering about oil changes, fuel usage and so on.

First, I know the user manual recommends 87 octane fuel. Are there any advantages or risks to using a higher octane fuel for the normally aspirated Mustang 5.0 engine?

Second, what type of oil should/could be used? I expect to use high quality motor oil but is there any recommendation for or against full synthetic motor oil? And, what about frequency? The salesman told me the oil should be changed every 5 months or 5000 miles. With so much information on the web about vehicle technology and oil technology today it's difficult to know if that is a valid recommendation.

Now the fun part, a couple of new photos...

Thanks in advanced for your comments and suggestions! I'm looking forward to this adventure. The highway awaits...

-James

• Sponsors (?)

Second, what type of oil should/could be used? I expect to use high quality motor oil but is there any recommendation for or against full synthetic motor oil? And, what about frequency? The salesman told me the oil should be changed every 5 months or 5000 miles. With so much information on the web about vehicle technology and oil technology today it's difficult to know if that is a valid recommendation.

Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic Blend is the factory fill and Ford recommended oil. It's not the best oil in the world, but it is actually one of the better oils on the market.

Your car should have an oil change reminder built-in, it will be factory set to the recommended interval, you can go by it, or change it earlier if you like (my F150 is set to 10,000 miles from the factory, with no way to change the setting, but I change mine every 7500 miles and use either the Motorcraft, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, or Castrol Edge (whichever is cheapest) and I only use the Motorcraft filters (if Ford says they're good enough for 10000 mile oil change intervals, that's good enough for me).

If you REALLY want to obsess about what oil goes in your car, the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums is the place to go. A LOT of the members there rave about the Motorcraft oil, Amsoil, and the various new formulas from Pennzoil (including the Platinum, which I really like), but the reality is any name-brand synthetic blend or full synthetic is going to be fine, so long as it's 5w20.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome!

In regards to your question on fuel, anything between 87 and 93 octane should be fine. There is no real risk that I can think of when using higher octane fuel. These cars can detect the octane level of the fuel being used and adjust for it. I believe you gain 10 horsepower or something like that with 93 octane.

For your questions on oil, I just echo 74stang2togo's comments.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk