Brand new, what should I do?

TheBlackPearl

Oct 4, 2006
MA
Well, I purchased a brand new 2006 V6 with Pony Package on it, and I'm looking for a little advice as to what i should do with it.

I've been reading around, but i figured it would be better for me to get some questions answered if i started my own thread.

So far I've put about 3300 miles on it, I got myself a K&N air filter, Bosch oil filter, and got a regular oil change. I bought some full synthetic oil, but I've been told not to put that in until 5-10k miles. Any input on when i really should be doing it, or if the synthetic is worth it?

I've been hearing some conflicting crap on gas, I would love to hear what people have to say about this. I've been told to use regular gas because my mustang would just waste the premium. And I've been told I'll get better performance and a cleaner system for using premium. For every two people i ask about the gas, the next two say the opposite. So, I've just been using mids for now. How about you guys?

What kinds of technical modifications did the pony package give me?

I've been wanting to look into headers, exhaust, and chips, but I've been told to work on suspension and tires before anything else. I'm lost.

Basically, I have been trying to learn more in depth about my car, but everyone i talk to has this opposite opinion.

Can someone help me out?http://forums.stangnet.com/images/smilies/banghead.gif
:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I just picked up an '05 V6 for my son and we haven't started modding it yet so I can't help you there. As far as I know the Pony Package is all appearence mods.

I'll give my 2 cents on the oil & gas.

Oil - Switch to a full synthetic as soon as the engine is broke in. If you want to wait until the next scheduled oil change somewhere after 5K miles go right ahead.

Gas - Unless you've made changes to your engine that would warrant a higher octane gas (like advancing engine timing, adding forced induction e.g. turbo/supercharger) then don't waste your money on anything over 87 octane. It WILL NOT increase performance at all. Stick to the major brands when buying your 87 though... Shell, Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco, etc. and stay away from the Speedy Stop, Stop-n-Go, and Quickie Mart style mom & pop gas stations. You're more likely to get a bad tank from them.

U.M.

The pony package is more than apperence. You basicly get the GT suspension wheels and tires and the apperence addtions. The pony package is more than worth the little extra money it cost.

Oil is a personal preference and everyone has thier own opinion. You can go full synthetic at anytime. Some new cars come with it. The mustang has semi-synthetic from the factory.

The mustang engine is designed to use 87 so use it any thing above that is a waste and could potentially cause issues.

The v6 headers are pretty good from everything I have heard and really will not gain you much by changing them.

where to start?

you're well on your way with the Pony Package :nice:

I spent my first few months upgrading my suspension to what you already have.

my #1 suggestion? Get a single flow through muffler / dont bother dual-ing it out unless you plan on going to a Super Charger or Turbo setup.

#2, a Cold Air Intake and SCT/X-cal 2 for some real performance gains / and true, clean hands Hot-Rodding

TheBlackPearl said:
What is a SCT/X-cal 2? I'm totally new to this.
It's a handheld flash tuner that allows you to make adjustments to the cars EEC (computer). You can also use it to transfer custom tunes into the EEC.

I guess I was wrong about the pony package, it's more than just appearance, then again it doesn't provide any additional performance as far as power is concerned which is what you were wondering anyway wasn't it?

U.M.

TheBlackPearl said:
What is a SCT/X-cal 2? I'm totally new to this.

search the forum for bamachips, evo, brenspeed. They are popular tuners here on the board.

If you install a Cold Air Intake (CAI) you more than likely need your computer retuned to deal with new air flow.

These guys sell the packages allowing you to get increased HP.

Do the search and be prepared to do a lot of fun reading.

Tuner Rant

lmmmmm said:
search the forum for bamachips, evo, brenspeed. They are popular tuners here on the board.

If you install a Cold Air Intake (CAI) you more than likely need your computer retuned to deal with new air flow...

Are the FORD Mustangs the only cars that these 'Tuners' live off of?

And why does a slight increase in airflow REQUIRE a full recalibration of the entire ECI?

which leads to the next question:

How is it that no one is offering up something that simply resolves the basic issues at hand?
An 'A La Carte' tune instead of a full Nine Course Meal, take it or leave it ...

And last but not least, why isn't there any price competition in this business?!!!

these frigging little SCT Modules CANT REALLY cost $350.00 / $400.00 a pop!!

And if you can buy a counterfeit iPod or Knock-off, Pre-release DVD's - why cant somebody import reverse engineered, cloned SCT Modules?

shooterm1 said:
Are the FORD Mustangs the only cars that these 'Tuners' live off of?
No. Diablosport, SCT, Superchips, they all make handheld tuners for other vehicle makes & models.

shooterm1 said:
And why does a slight increase in airflow REQUIRE a full recalibration of the entire ECI?
Because the MAF electronics are calibrated based on the flow characteristics of the stock inlet tract. These CAI/Inlets from C&L and others replace the whole inlet tract, yet they require you to re-use the original MAF electronics. In order for the MAF to report accurate incoming air quantities based on the larger inlet tract the parameters within the EEC need to be changed. Allowing the engine to bring in more fresh air than what the MAF is reporting can and will cause a lean condition.

shooterm1 said:
How is it that no one is offering up something that simply resolves the basic issues at hand?
An 'A La Carte' tune instead of a full Nine Course Meal, take it or leave it ...
Not sure what exactly you mean here? What basic issue? Can you expand a little more?

shooterm1 said:
And last but not least, why isn't there any price competition in this business?!!!
There is.... You can pay $399 for a Diablosport Predator, or $399 for an SCT X-cal 2. :D

shooterm1 said:
And if you can buy a counterfeit iPod or Knock-off, Pre-release DVD's - why cant somebody import reverse engineered, cloned SCT Modules?
Because the time and money required to backwards engineer this product including the firmware isn't worth it compared to the amount of units sold. Basically these units are special purpose based on the specific car they were programmed to work with. A cheaply made Chinese knock-off wouldn't last long... as soon as the new owner needed technical support the jig would be up!

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
No. Diablosport, SCT, Superchips, they all make handheld tuners for other vehicle makes & models. U.M.
Ahhh, But what precentage of their business is that? anyone know the figures??

I suspect that its very very small compared to their Mustang business.

Because the MAF electronics are calibrated based on the flow characteristics of the stock inlet tract. These CAI/Inlets from C&L and others replace the whole inlet tract, yet they require you to re-use the original MAF electronics. In order for the MAF to report accurate incoming air quantities based on the larger inlet tract the parameters within the EEC need to be changed. Allowing the engine to bring in more fresh air than what the MAF is reporting can and will cause a lean condition.U.M.
Yeah. That much is obvious .... however the real question is whether a complete Re-tune is really neccesary here. Isnt there some middle ground somewhere?

Not sure what exactly you mean here? What basic issue? Can you expand a little more?U.M.
I mean why isnt there a stripped down version of these "One size fits all" electronic marvels?? :shrug:

All I want are one or two of their 14-20 odd features...

There is.... You can pay $399 for a Diablosport Predator, or $399 for an SCT X-cal 2. U.M.
uh huh ...yep :crazy:

Because the time and money required to backwards engineer this product including the firmware isn't worth it compared to the amount of units sold. Basically these units are special purpose based on the specific car they were programmed to work with. A cheaply made Chinese knock-off wouldn't last long... as soon as the new owner needed technical support the jig would be up! U.M.
So basically then I'm buying proprietary Hardware and Software but mostly paying for the excellent Customer Service that I hope that I never need, right? :bang:

shooterm1 said:
Ahhh, But what precentage of their business is that? anyone know the figures?? I suspect that its very very small compared to their Mustang business.
Sorry... don't have those numbers, but since there are more Mustangs on the road than Camaro's I would only hazard to guess the Mustang side of the handheld tuner business is quite substantial. I don't however believe it's as lopsided as you may think.
shooterm1 said:
Yeah. That much is obvious .... however the real question is whether a complete Re-tune is really neccesary here. Isnt there some middle ground somewhere?
I don't know... Can you have a chip burnt for the new EEC in the S197's just like you could for the SN95's? If so that would be a cheaper solution.
shooterm1 said:
I mean why isnt there a stripped down version of these "One size fits all" electronic marvels??
All I want are one or two of their 14-20 odd features...
It's a power little tool that capable of making changes to as little or as much as the user deems necessary. Unfortunately there's isn't a "Lite" version for those who only need one or two of the features provided.
shooterm1 said:
So basically then I'm buying proprietary Hardware and Software but mostly paying for the excellent Customer Service that I hope that I never need, right?
In a nutshell.... YUP!

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Blame it on the technology... these guys are providing a tuning solution. Can't get mad because someone offers a product that sells. If you could build a better mousetrap then by all means go ahead and people will be beating a path to your door too!

U.M.

Actually, I blame it of a whole host of Market Forces that are at work here.
But you're correct in that if someone could be making money from offering 'the better mousetrap', it would already be in production.

One has to wonder though,,, who has access to the codes? Or rather who controls access to the code? And by extension, who actually OWNS the code?

btw, I see where FORD is cracking down on unlicensed use of the Mustang logos and name now ... can code hacking be far behind?

shooterm1 said:
One has to wonder though,,, who has access to the codes? Or rather who controls access to the code? And by extension, who actually OWNS the code?

btw, I see where FORD is cracking down on unlicensed use of the Mustang logos and name now ... can code hacking be far behind?
Well I'm sure the "code" is owned by Ford, but once you purchase the vehicle you can edit that code as you see fit because you paid for it. If you want to change a fuel trim table value in an effort to change the A/F ratio for a given set of inputs then by all means do it! As long as you don't try to sell the edited code as genuine Ford programming I don't think these anything they can do. I'm guessing they consider it open source.

If you were to go out and purchase the expensive SCT Pro Racer Package you'd have all the tools to modify the stock code as little or as much as necessary to meet just your specific needs.

U.M.