Engine Break-in oil questions

Justin87

Aug 7, 2017
Hello all!

I think it’s about time I finally start my 90 GT that I did a motor and transmission swap on.

I would like some opinions on break-in oil.

What brands do you guys like?

After the initial start, setting timing and all that (assuming I can get it running ) how quickly should I change the initial break-in oil?

I’m under the impression that “first start” oil should be different than the first drive/actual engine break-in period, but I also am a rank amateur so who knows.‍ :shrug:

thanks for your time!

-Justin

• Sponsors(?)

StangNet created a new car social app called knowmoto! Add your Mustang or post a photo in the knowmoto app and enter for a chance at a $100 gift card from LMR. Click the LMR Logo for more about the knowmoto Mega Thread!

HemiRick

I'd be looking at jacking under the house
Jun 28, 2020
Memphis TN
Break in oil is mainly needed for flat tappet cams....if your engine has a roller cam, it should, forget about break in oil and just run whatever oil you are going to run in it for life.

Reactions: 2 users

stormsedge

Jun 17, 2018
Here
forget about break in oil and just run whatever oil you are going to run in it

^^I agree^^ There was a day (so many years ago) when a light non-detergent (10 or 20w) was common practice in new builds...I never did it, and the guys I knew building real racing engines never did it. Start with what you are going to run.

Reactions: 1 user

j753303

Aug 25, 2020
MASS
as long as its not synthetic. i would wait at least 1000 miles for that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Justin87

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks guys.

got all my fluids sorted. Going for a first start this weekend!