Break In Procedure for New Engine

Vipersix

Founding Member
Feb 25, 2001
Clarksville, TN
I've heard a number of different ways that a new engine "must" go through or you'll ruin it. About the only consistent idea is not to use synthetic but even that differs on the time period until you are able to use it.

Anyone think they have the proper way to break in a new engine?

• Sponsors (?)

I have been told by some of the best that ideal approach for a fresh mill would be as follows (for hydralic roller cam)..prime it with a drill on distributor, start it up. Let it idle up to operating temp maybe 10 minutes while you listen to whats what and check for leaks. Then change the oil if all is well and go for a drive..say 20minutes half hour driving easy and listening. Come back change oil once again if wanted, then go drive it NORMAL like which IMO means drive it like a normal car would be driven by a normal person for about 500 Miles. Now change oil and drive it like you stole it.

I agree with 90mustang gt, Hammer on it, but keep it out of the higher rpm ranges, just keep winding the gears to it and dont just let off the gas to slow down, i guess there is something bad with the "compression braking" part on the moter where back pressure of slowing down will pretty much undo what your trying to do, which is break it in.

I don't think it'll make a whole lot of difference. Material and machining capability has changed dramatically from the 60's (and earlier). In the last 30 years something close to half a billion new cars/trucks have been built globally. The vast majority of them are first started when they're driven off the assembly line, run for a minute or two on rollers to be sure all the car's systems are working, and then put on a truck. Off the truck and onto the lots where they're bought by the average consumer who doesn't have a clue about breaking one in, or early oil changes, or re-torquing. The vast majority of those new cars go on to give between 100 and 200 thousand miles of trouble-free service - some give much more than that.

My approach was covered by dman - check for leaks, proper gauge readings and funny noises. If all's well, give it several heat cycles and then put your oil choice in. And from that point, you can run it as hard or as easy as you like. After that careful startup you can even try this mentioned above -- "Hammer on it, but keep it out of the higher rpm ranges, just keep winding the gears to it and dont just let off the gas to slow down, i guess" -- although I'd suggest at some point you let off and slow down. :)

I wonder how yours and mine where broken in cause mine lasted 200,000 miles and was originally purchased and driven by an older couple..broken in as a grocery getter and driving the kids to school. The break in is not an issue..rings will seat and all will work well no matter how you break it in. Many many people put rebuilt motors in their vehicles and don't go bombing around trying to pound in the rings. Trust MR. Yount I am quite sure he is quite a bit more knowledgable on the topic than we are. Anyhow you break in your motor any damn way you want..if the oil used is good and kept clean it will run like a champ, and the rings will seat. As with every topic on here there are a thousand different answers, the gentleman building my new motor said prime it/start it/change oil/do what ever you want with it..the man builds high power engines all day and I'll take his and Michaels adivce any day of the week.

There you go... both sides that are seemingly opposites. One book says to idle for 20 minutes then put in synthetic and drive to your heart's content. One says to idle for 15 minutes, change oil and do the 500 mile break in THEN put in synthetic. My other book says keep the RPMs fairly high so the rings will seal (especially important on chrome moly)... so there ya go.

I was finally able to get a hold of a friend who has put together MANY a performance engine and got his opinion. He told me to make dang sure everything was primed and as close to final final specs as possible before cranking it up. Immediately upon cranking take it to a fast idle (1000 - 1500 RPM). Run for 30 - 40 minutes at this range with an occasional bump to 2000 or down to 800. While it's running check out the engine thoroughly, check for leaks, check timing, etc. Unless there is a serious problem continue running for the 30 - 40 minutes before shutting down. Change oil and take it for a spin at normal conditions. Normal I guess would be your average Joe taking it on a grocery run, and go for a few hundred miles. He said you'll be able to feel it getting stronger as the rings complete their seal and the cam is broken in. Not so important on a roller cam as a flat tappet but important still.

So I guess this is what I'll do. Thanks for your help guys!

Most of that 'run it at x number of minutes from 1500-2000 rpm' stuff is for breaking in flat tappet cams. We've assumed you're running a roller - no special initial run time break in. Furthermore on flat tappet cams - follow the cam makes recommendations. Many wilder cams require so much spring pressure you must break them in with break-in springs (much weaker) and then after the cam/lifters are broken in (20-30 minutes at 2000-2500 rpm) then you remove the break in springs and replace with the 'real' valve springs. Those are all non-issues with rollers.

There's no way I'd let one run for 30-40 minutes (roller) before driving it - absolutely no need to. Run it for long enough to determine - nothing's leaking, oil pressure is good, and there aren't any noises that are bad - then go drive it. Get some air moving through the compartment and across the radiator. Don't go far from home/shop, but keep it out there and let it come up to temp. Then back home and park it - be sure no leaks appear under coolant pressure - then go drive some more.

You need to keep in mind that the cam is not the only thing that needs to be broken in. Virtually every aspect of the engine is liable to change slightly, heck even the crank will change it's shape but then we get into negligible amounts there. It's true the break-in procedure doesn't really apply to hydraulic rollers but like I said, there are more things that are adjusting themselves.

One important aspect of the break-in is the cylinders. You want to physically wear the new piston rings into the cylinder wall until a compatible seal between the two is achieved. When the engine is running, pressure is present in the cylinder behind the piston rings and it's force pushes the piston ring outward against the cylinder wall. The higher the pressure, the harder the piston ring is pushed against the wall. The surface temperature at the piston ring face and cylinder wall will be greater with high psi than with low psi. This is because you are pushing the ring harder against the rough cylinder wall surface causing high amounts of friction and thus heat. The primary deterrent of break in is this heat. Allowing too much heat to build up where the ring and cylinder wall contact will cause the oil that is present to break down and glaze the cylinder wall surface. This glaze will prevent any further seating of the piston rings. If glazing is allowed to happen break-in will never occur. You must achieve a happy medium where you are pushing on the ring hard enough to wear it in but not hard enough to generate enough heat to cause glazing. If glazing should occur, the only remedy is to re-hone the affected cylinder and replace the piston rings and start the whole process over again.

This was taken more or less verbatum from an aircraft manual which has an internal combustion engine very similar to an auto. The same is true of foreign cars. A car that is sold in Japan comes with very a very detailed break-in procedure, that same car sold in America more or less says to drive it easy for the first 1000 miles.

Not only do the rings mate with the cylinders but every bearing will elongate and mold to the surfaces, various bolts and studs will loosen up slightly, especially exhaust header and intake manifold bolts.

It's also very important to change the oil between 500 and 1000 miles at least, if not once before that as well as it will likely be contaminated with assembly lube and microscopic bits of metal worn off during the break-in process. Some people even say to remove the plugs and take a look at how they are running (lean, rich, etc). Good advice IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think you are VERY knowledgable about engines and cars in general but I disagree with your break-in procedure. I agree that you should go out and drive it as soon as you determine whether or not there are any leaks or inconsistancies but you should not drive it like you stole it right out of the garage. As Michael said, go out and drive some, come back check things out and head back out again.

The only reason I harp on the rings is because of a previous experience. My brother and I rebuilt a truck and never could get the rings to seat and ended up changing them. I learned by experience to break in the rings.

:notnice: As with everything related to performance though... everyone has an opinion, none of which is the best for everyone!

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how things turn out.

It's important to take the link above in the proper context. I believe the guy is a motorcycle racer so that's how he's using the engines. He was looking for a way to more reliably put freshly rebuilt engines on the track and know that they wouldn't break. I suppose you could consider that long term reliability - but in his case, long term means nothing lets go during the first track session right after the rebuild. I think after he found something that worked for him on the track, he began drawing conclusions about street applications.

Vipersix - a lot depends upon the use of the engine. For a street car, we all have the luxury of doing whatever we think is right in terms of the length of that break-in period. For a racer, well -- "but you should not drive it like you stole it right out of the garage" - you can see where that's just not gonna work. Racers simply don't have 500-1000 miles, or even 50 miles to give to break in. As a practical matter they pretty much have to lean on them almost right after start up. Whatever books you're looking at are doing a pretty good job describing what's going on a micro basis inside the engine as close tolerance surfaces get 'used' to each other. But here's the deal - rings seat (or not) literally seconds to minutes after the first start up. So by the time you've checked for pressure, temp, leaks and noises the rings have already seated themselves, or they haven't. And if they haven't, there's not an engine operating technique that's gonna help it. So you choose quality machine work, quality parts designed for you application, assemble correctly -- and if you're careful with all that, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to check for leaks, noises, gauges (5-10 minutes) - and then go drive the car. If the rings didn't seat right after start up, there's no procedure that's liable to accomplish that during the next 500-1000 miles. I think we agree on the benefits of an oil/filter change after a few miles (100-500-1000 take your pick) to eliminate assembly/break in debris.

My reference to how most new cars 'aren't' broken in wasn't intended as a suggestion that we simply ignore a break-in period. It was only intended to point out that's what happens to literally hundreds of millions of new cars, and they don't seem to be much worse off for it. That's an awful lot of annecdotal evidence that points in the direction of the fact that if an engine is assembled correctly, machined correctly and quality parts are used - break in should be a non-event. And of course 'ol motoman up above says lean on hard right away and you'll pick up 2%-10% more power. Go figure.

I saw that page by Motoman as well and read through it. Decent page but I think you're right, he's not real concerned about longevity. Of course, neither are race car engines. Good advice all around. I had heard before that seals and rings will mate very quickly but wasn't sure about it. Looks like it must be true after all.

Thanks again for the help, I'll let you know how things go.

You've clearly put a lot of good thought/research into it - it's gonna go fine. I look forward to hearing how it goes - we're pullin' for it to crank on the first try with no leaks/noises, good pressure - and the first drive is uneventful.

My brother and I broke in my engine back in April of this year. We filled the radiator with water only (anti-freeze stains when it leaks.) We then let it idle at 2,000 r.p.m.'s for 15-20 minutes to break in the cam. The oil was then changed, water drained and a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze/water added. It was then taken out for a 30 minute ride with the r.p.m.s variating, but not over 4,000 r.p.m.s.

I drove it regularly like this for the first 1,000 miles, at which point the oil was changed again. I've now got about 4,000 miles on it and it's ready for it's 3rd oil change. I haven't had one problem yet and the power is simply awesome.

By the way, my brother (Retro 5.0) has been rebuilding engines for 18 years and I wasn't going to question his wisdom! :hail2: