Break in time for freshened motor?

IndyBlk5.0

Nov 24, 2003
New Whiteland, IN
Ok, i am getting my motor freshed up with all new bearings, hopefully using same crank, rods, pistons, but new rings of course, misc. polishing. felpro head gaskets with heads freshened up valve job, flattened, blah blah, how long should i wait until i lay into it? :shrug: :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

500 miles, then change the oil, then again at 1000 miles, then a last time at 3000 miles. make sure you open up your oil filter after each one of those oil changes (gets expensive but it can tell you if you have metal shavings in your motor). One last thing, make sure you use motor oil untill 3000 miles, synth oil wont let the motor break in. Also be sure that when you turn it up and get it ready to drive, take it to a freeway and beat the crap out of it! go from exit to exit for about 10 min. make sure you dont stay at a constant RPM (if you do, you will 'glass' over your hone). the reason you do this, is to seat your rings. if you dont, you wont notice anything untill later, when you start getting alot of blow by. oh, and don't forget she will run a little warmer than she should, because of the assembly lube, and the fact she is breaking in.

sorry to rant, if you knew all of this already, but better safe than sorry.
By no means, am I a guru or know everything about 302s, the only reason i know some of this stuff, is because i just finished mine :banana: . someone please help me out if i missed anything or maybe correct me if i am mistaken.

good luck
james

My engine shop told me to get it to operating temp drive it a lil then drive it like you plan to drive it. He builds all kinds of motors from race cars to normal daily commuters.

500 miles is plenty. many shops break their motors in on the dyno, others do it at the track. rings seat faster than many people think. I just finished breaking mine in as well. I loaded the motor at diff rpms in diff gears right away, but kept rpms to 5k max till 150 miles, then I steped up to 6k.

changed oil after first 15 min running time, then again at 150 miles, then again at 500.
she's ready to rock now.

This is just how I did mine
Scott

CobraGT87 said:
500 miles is plenty. many shops break their motors in on the dyno, others do it at the track. rings seat faster than many people think. I just finished breaking mine in as well. I loaded the motor at diff rpms in diff gears right away, but kept rpms to 5k max till 150 miles, then I steped up to 6k.

changed oil after first 15 min running time, then again at 150 miles, then again at 500.
she's ready to rock now.

This is just how I did mine
Scott

Yes, and EVERYONE knows that your a very wise old owl :rlaugh:

CobraGT87 said:
pickin on me again huh? :rlaugh: and I still learn something new everyday :nice: , only problems is I also forget something new everyday too :shrug: :bang:

Scott

You named me the Town Clown for a reason Scott. :banana:

you don't need to wait to crack the throttle, contrary to popular belief, as long as the camshaft (if it's new) has had about 30 min. of runtime. here's how i break 'em in:
-change oil at 500 and 1000 miles, more often doesn't hurt
-i drive as i would normally, in other words, i rev as high as i want, but only for brief periods. i dont under any circumstances KEEP it over 4 grand for any extended length of time for the first 500-1000 miles.
-vary your speeds
-have fun!

my old man broke in a motor without getting it above 40 mph driving like a granny for the first 500 miles. the dam thing burnt oil above 55 mph for the rest of its life, old chevy.
drive it like you always will after the first oil change and vary rpms