BREMBOS and a flat tire

• Sponsors (?)

I only know b/c I had a 2010 GT.

As far as the tires listed on Tire Rack, they have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus that I want, but those Hankook's sure are attractive at only $174-a tire. I've had Sumitomo HTR ZIII's before and they worked fine. They're only $199 a tire.

I'm sure I'll be getting new tires by this time next year. I drive about 17K miles a year on average.

jbrillo-

IF you do get those Pilot A/S, I'd appreciate a shout out as towhat your thought are on them.

I have those A/S on two of my other non performance cars and I love them. :nice:

Will do. I've had them on one of our previous non-performance vehicles & they were great tires. They were quiet, comfy, & lasted every bit of their advertised 45K treadwear warranty.

FORD's 36k COMPLIMENTARY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE:
If you have a flat tire, they will come out to change your tire for you for NO-CHARGE ... however your car MUST HAVE A SPARE TIRE !! Does not sound like hauling your car away on a flat bed because it has a flat and no spare is part of the FREE service.

Here is the text from the 2012 Mustang Owner's manual page 229
Roadside assistance will cover:
-a flat tire change with a good spare (except vehicles that have been supplied with a tire inflation kit)
-towing - Ford and Lincoln eligible vehicles towed to an authorized dealer within 35 miles (56 km) of the disablement location or to the nearest authorized dealer. If a member requests to be towed to an authorized dealer more than 35 miles (56 km) from the disablement location, the member shall be responsible for any mileage costs in excess of 35 miles (56 km)

That sure sounds to me like you can request to be towed if you have a flat tire (I'd say it counts as disablement). Especially if you don't have a good spare tire whether you have a tire 'repair' kit or not.

Also, I guess depending on the definition of "supplied" (either came with the car or aftermarket) then the flat tire change may not be covered on a V6 model or GT with Brembo's that didn't come with a spare even if you've bought one aftermarket. I doubt the tow truck operator would car but it's something to keep in mind.

Also on page 239 it says:
Have a flat serviced by an authorized dealer in order to prevent damage to the TPMS sensors

and

WARNING: The use of tire sealants may damage your tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) and should not be used. However, if you must use a sealant, the TPMS sensor and valve stem on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer.

Seems like they would rather have you tow your car to a dealer than use the tire repair kit which should only be used as a last resort. Neither the owner or the tow truck operator is qualified to service a flat beyond just taking it off and putting on a spare.

EDIT:
PS. The roadside assistance is 5 years 60,000 miles (not 36,000 miles)
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBMUS/~MUS~LEN/40/11frdra1e.pdf

If I get a flat, I'm certainly NOT going to call Roadside Assistance and WAIT an hour or so for someone to come out and put my spare on for me. This is the whole reason mechanically inclined people like me want a spare ... DIY.

One of the reasons cars like the Mustang V6 are begining to roll off the production line without spare tires is liability issues of non-mechanically inclined people attemting to do it themselves. As for the std. spare on non-Brembo GT's, Ford must feel that a higher percentage of GT buyers are capable of putting a spare on than V6 buyers.

Also if you are calling Roadside Assistance with no spare, you better be asking for a FLATBED. I've heard from many sources (including my dealer) that the S197 Mustang should not be towed ... can't really see why this would be, but that's what I heard.

Doug

For a spare that fits over the Brembo's, read this thread ...
2011 Mustang GT with Brembo package and full spare - Ford Mustang Forums

You will still need to get a complete JACK KIT from a 2005-up Mustang (V6 or GT, see attached). From a Ford dealer it is all loose parts (no kit) ... however complete kits (typically never used) are on e-bay pretty regularly.

Doug

I have those wheels for my winter tire/wheel setup. Mine are flat black with a red stripe around the lip. :nice:
They fit over the Brembo's with lots of room to spare. I have Blizzaks mounted to mine (235/55/18) and I'm not sure if they'd fit into the tire well as they are a little taller than the OEM tire (255/40/19).

To the guy who wants tires with a 500 tread wear rating. Are you nuts? Those will ride like crap. "Long-lasting" tires do nothing but wear like iron. They have no grip and aren't that comfortable. Chances are they will "wear out" from UV rays and heat cycling before you get to their "mileage rating" of 50K miles or whatever it is.

Do yourself a favor. Get 2 sets of tires (and wheels if you can afford it). Summer tires. Winter tires. Purpose built rubber for each season. Kinda like, sneakers and snow boots.

Regarding the wacky size (255/40/19). The OEM tires is way over-priced. When mine wear out, I'll see if I can sneak a 275 on that rim. It's 9 inches wide, so I think it would fit.

Someone mentioned new, take off OEM GT500 wheels/tires. I had those on my 2007 and they were awesome. Came mounted, balanced with TPMS. I paid $950 or so. I wish I had them for my '11. Oh well.

For a full-size spare, you could also simply purchase a wheel and tire that fit on the REAR wheels. Then, if you get a flat on a FRONT tire, put the spare on the REAR wheel, and move the good tire/wheel from the REAR to the FRONT.

I can't believe no one has figured this out.

I know this is an old thread but it came up while I was trying to find a spare tire. I am a proud owner of a new to me, 2011 GT with brembo brakes. While purchasing the car I noticed it didn't have a spare, I thought no big deal I can simply buy a cheap one. Well after getting the car home and doing some research I quickly found out that there is no spare to be had that will clear the brakes and fit properly in the truck without raising the trunk floor. Fast forward a month and I just saw a facebook ad for a company that is having a spare made that will fit the brembo brake mustangs. Anyone else seen this? I just pre-ordered one, I do a lot of driving and don't want to be stranded without one

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....-2015-2017-ford-mustang-gt-with-brembo-brakes